Looking to buy a Skilsaw Table saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave B

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all new to the forum today.
I'm looking to buy a Skilsaw tablesaway but not having much luck finding one from the UK.

Does anyone have any ideas as to where I may get one.

Many thanks

Dave

If you mean this///

https://www.amazon.com/SKILSAW-SPT70WT- ... B01AX4B7I6

This is a USA model - not available in the UK afaik.

Do you need a site table saw?

If not, and you will be doing more workshop based stuff, for this kind of budget you might be better off with something like an Axminster TS200 which has a quieter motor and a cast iron top.

If you need a site style saw with portability an alternative to the one you mention would be something like a Metabo TS216 or TS254. With a bigger budget the higher end Bosch gets good reviews.

Dave B":3n4hekwp said:
I'm looking to buy a Skilsaw tablesaway but not having much luck finding one from the UK.
You won't find one for sale in the UK unless it's a private sale as it doesn't have the necessary CE approval for it to be legally sold in the UK.

pcb1962":awiaorpu said:
Dave B":awiaorpu said:
You won't find one for sale in the UK unless it's a private sale as it doesn't have the necessary CE approval for it to be legally sold in the UK.

Can't quite see that as I can buy one for shipping to France on the Amazon site?

Mike

MikeJhn":mz4g7byw said:
pcb1962":mz4g7byw said:
Dave B":mz4g7byw said:

Can't quite see that as I can buy one for shipping to France on the Amazon site?
Nothing to stop you importing one for your own use, illegal for an EU business to sell you one.
The rules are here

If that is the case then Amazon are contravening those rules as the distributor:

"If you are a distributor you must check the presence of both the CE marking and the necessary supporting documentation.

If you are importing a product that is from a third country you have to check that the manufacturer outside the EU has undertaken the necessary steps. You must check that the documentation is available."

Mike

Sorry guys I should of said that the saw I am after is a SKIL 3410-02 10-Inch table saw.
Thanks for the recommendation by the way.

Cheers
Dave

Dave B":fno79xoa said:
Sorry guys I should of said that the saw I am after is a SKIL 3410-02 10-Inch table saw.
Thanks for the recommendation by the way.

Cheers
Dave
That model is 100% a USA model. Even if it did makes financial sense to import, the motor is a 60hz motor which would likely run under speed and be potentially under higher load.

This model does not get the best ratings online by the look of things either, so it is unlikely to be worth the expense of importing it.

If you give a better idea of your use-case, other recommendations could be given...

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

Thank you for sharing that info with me Bodgers.
I want to use it in the shed. I don't want a big machine as space is a little on the tight side but not to bad. At the same time I would like to be able to use it just outside my shed too.
I would like to kit out the same shed by making some draws and shelving so I can compact store the things I will have left after my mammoth sort out lol
But if i buy a budgit m/c at the same time I don't want to have to upgrade to get one that has good build qualities if you know what I mean.

Thanks

Dave

The Axminster TS200 fits the size bill and has the benefit of being relatively quiet. You would need a mobile base for it if you plan to move it as it does have some heft. It has got more expensive over the last few years to the point where it has gone from £300 to over £400.

I hear good things about the Metabo's - if your budget is tight and you are going to be moving between your shed and outside a lot.

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

As Bodgers said, the TS 200 or the TS 250 Mk 2 may suit your needs, there is lots of information on both saws on the Forum, half way down the first page of this thread: axminster-ts250-2-modifications-t102284.html is a list of other information concerning these very capable hobby saws, don't take any notice of the posts about difficulty in alining the blade with the mitre slot, as the manufacturer has addressed this on the Mk 2 versions.

Mike

Thanks for all your recommendations and tips. I will follow them up and decide where to go from there.

Thanks again.

Dave

Hi all. Well I have gone and bought myself a Metabo 216 and I have to say, the build quality is all lot better than I expected. The fence is bang on square ever time it's locked in place, and it is so user friendly thankyou for recommending it, I can't wait to start my new wood working venture.
There is one question I would like to ask. I havent yet turned it on because at the bottom of the blade there is a rubber strip that looks like its to divert the sawdust out into the extraction outlet. When the blade is lowered down, it fawls against this rubber not much but enough for me not to run the machine in case it throws the balance of the blade out when it spins up.
From what I see, there are two ways round this.
Turn it on and let the blade trim the rubber back on it's own or take the rubber out and trim a little off so the blade runs clear from it.
What are your thoughts on this please.

Many thanks.

Dave

Dave B":2kmp8c31 said:
Hi all. Well I have gone and bought myself a Metabo 216 and I have to say, the build quality is all lot better than I expected. The fence is bang on square ever time it's locked in place, and it is so user friendly thankyou for recommending it, I can't wait to start my new wood working venture.
There is one question I would like to ask. I havent yet turned it on because at the bottom of the blade there is a rubber strip that looks like its to divert the sawdust out into the extraction outlet. When the blade is lowered down, it fawls against this rubber not much but enough for me not to run the machine in case it throws the balance of the blade out when it spins up.
From what I see, there are two ways round this.
Turn it on and let the blade trim the rubber back on it's own or take the rubber out and trim a little off so the blade runs clear from it.
What are your thoughts on this please.

Many thanks.

Dave

I can't answer your question specifically, as I don't own it, but the manual seems to mention the possibility of rubber/plastic chips being ejected on first use, so it could be this is by design to ensure close clearance between the blade and the extraction path - not sure.

Yes I think that is the case regarding the blade does trim off what it needs to until It get to the point when there is enough clearance and no binding.
I did already trim small amount of rubber that was binding against the right side of the blade just as a cautionary thing for my piece of mind more than anything. There was still a small amount of rubber shavings when I started up but not a lot.

Thanks again for your help.

Back