Look no holes Vol 2

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blimey Pete is the current batch that strong you have to have miniature flask and goblet?

Looking neat by the way.

Lovely work Pete, the vase on the right does it for me, shape, finish, grain...

bit big but..... :lol: :lol:

(seriously, I'd be happy to display it alongside any of my stuff :wink: )

Thanks guys. Sorry it's a bit big Graham, I'll see if I can do a couple of smaller ones for you. Might need to get my glasses renewed first though.

I did wonder about hollowing it out with some dental picks I* have but decided that I wasn't that clever (yet) and it was 10.30 so I didn't. Maybe try some time though

Pete

Bodrighy":163ojf4t said:
I did wonder about hollowing it out with some dental picks ...
Pete

I only bother hollowing out lidded boxes and wide necked vases/hollow form Pete

... but...

if you hadn't said that nobody (apart from you) would have known :p

Nice turnings,Pete - guess you don't bin offcuts any more ? It's either still useable,or it's sawdust.. :wink:

Andrew

Couple of 'ordnary' pieces as Graham would say courtesy of Yandles scrap boxes

Lacewood. 6^ tall, bowl bit is 2 1/2" wdia, 1mm thin at lip and 2mm rest of body

Wenge, 1 1/2" tall, 3" dia

Must get back to spalt and voids, suffering withdrawal pains :cry:

Pete

P.S white spots are the light, not there in real life

Is that Ropala Lacewood Pete?

Ordinary!! ... they might have been when they were in the scrapbox :!

Nice work Pete, really like the Wenge. Not that easy a wood to get that good a finish on.

Very nice pieces - like the shape and style of both;both have lovely colouring,and look excellently finished :D

Andrew

Seriously Pete you are showing a whole new level of achievement just lately, I think you have either had a eureka moment or you have got yourself that comfortably set up in that shed that things are happening out of shear pleasure.

Because that is what shouts to me when I look at that goblet, the guy enjoyed himself making that.

Thanks for the compliments guys
happy0032.gif

Strangely enough part of the reason I am possibly doing a bit better is because I have been using some old Carbon Steel tools that I have been experimenting with at the grindstone. I have been trying different shaped bevels etc. I still sharpen free hand so I wasn't prepared to try it with more expensive tools

Must admit everything seems to be flowing better at the moment. I am also experimenting with design, trying to use 'proper techniques' to produce different shapes etc. In other words I am actually starting to do things according to the book a bit more. Only taken 14 months
confused0068.gif

Pete

Didn't rain today but as SWMBO was hiding behind a sewing machine I managed to have a day in the shed

Two yew bowls, both approx 12" dia and 4" high.

Chestnut goblet. 12" tall, stem 1/4" dia, bowl part approx 3mm thick and 2 1/2" dia

Beech bowl / urn. 9" dia, 2mm thicjk 5" tall

Feel free to comment etc.

Pete

With and without character features, a good day in the shed there Pete,

Looks like you have got the finishing routine nailed now.

Managed a few more bowls today and then had another go at one of these.
Approx 10" total, globe is 3" dia. Haven't a clue what the woods are, think that the dark maybe a piece of imb... something or other that someone gave me but the white one I don't know.

Any advice on sanding inside of hollow forms like this welcome. The hole is only about 3/4" wde and I couldn't get my finger inside to sand without friction burns DAMHIK :roll: . Can't afford £30 for one of those ball things.

Looks nice,Pete - Imbuya ? quite a chocolatey brown,turns and cuts very nicely.
And why not turn yourself a sanding ball out of timber,and duck tape some abrasive to it ? Should work,and cost factor is pleasantly low :lol:

Andrew

Latest posts

Back