Long Stem Goblets

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haldane

Established Member
Reaction score
Have been trying to improve the pictures i've been taking, and have been practicing on a couple of goblets I made recently from the branch wood of an apple tree that was cut down in our garden a couple of years ago.
Both stand 12" tall the one at the back was turned first I managed to get the stem a lot thinner on the other after learning from the first.
Both are finished with sanding sealer and woodwax22.

Dave

005-1.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

Very impressive, lovely colour, lovely finish. The transition from stem to cup is nicer on the more curvy of the two ( the rightmost one )

Did you have to employ a steady at all ? 12 inches does seem some distance for such thin stems.

Regs

Loz

Excellent work. First time I've seen anyone else on here doing these. I call them Chantrelle Goblets as they remind me of the Chantrell mushrooms. The stems look nice and straight. Did you use the skew?

I don't use a steady myself Loz, hold my finger behind the stem as I go down it.

Pete

Thanks for the comments
Like Bodrighy no steady was used in making these, once the cup/goblet part is turned and finished I packed them out with tissue and used a live centre for support at the tailstock end, then carefully worked back to the headstock working on a couple of inches of the stem at a time, using fingers for support and a skew chisel. Make sure each section if sanded and finished before moving to the next

Dave

Thanks for the clarification, makes sense now. I have never attempted anything as thin/long.

I take it you don't jam chuck to clean up the base ;-)

Good display of patience and concentration Haldane, here's hoping the stems stay reasonably straight as the humidity changes.

Latest posts

Back