Long MDF/MRMDF

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aidex

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

Does anyone know where I can buy some 25mm preferably MRMDF in long lengths? It has to be longer than the 10' panels ideally at least 4m. Places that do skirting and architrave sell these up to 5.4m but I've called Latham and a few other local yards and they don't sell them as "blanks".

Many thanks!
:D

I dont think its available, you could try ringing medite or another mdf manufacturer and ask if such a product exists.

I reckon you could make longer pieces by scarfing.
A couple of simple jigs, one to cut the scarf and the other to hold the joint whilst you glue it.

Another option would be to laminate 12mm together with overlapping joints .

I have successfully joined MRMDF just end to end with PU glue. You obviously have to line it up perfectly and ensure the 2 ends are completely square but it is amazingly strong
Depends on how much load will be on it I imagine?
Regards Mark

Thanks for your replies!

Any reason why a PU glue might be better (or the same) as a PVA like titebond? If I try butt jointing lengths of 25mm would it be worth using dowels (no Domino :( ) to align them?

I like the 12mm option. What's the largest distance between clamps I could get away with (I don't own many).

Thanks again!!!

I have a slot cutter for my router to allow me to biscuit joint jobs like that. No Domino machine here either. You could negate the problem of few clamps by placing stiff timbers on the work to spread the load. Or if you have a flat surface, apply an offcut of sheet material on top and apply weights of some sort. I've done this with some breeze blocks i had left over from my workshop build. When i worked building caravans, we had containers full of water for the same task. I now have lots of clamps to hand but still use the weight method when it suits.

Latest posts

Back