Long case arch top clock finally finished

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luthier49

Established Member
Reaction score
Here are photos of my finished clock. The clock was finished with Colron Antique Oil. I am very impressed with this finishing product, it allowed me to achieve a very professional result. I added Colron Medium Oak spirit stain to the oil finish itself. It enabled me to get a nice even stain to the American Cherry wood. And I got this lovely finish with only two applications. I did`t go by the manufacturers method of applying the finish, ( wiping on with a cloth ), I brushed the finish on with a sponge brush, let it set up for a few minutes, and then wiped it off.
full_clock.jpg

Hood.jpg

hood_door_open.jpg

Base.jpg

This is brilliant work.

I have always wanted to have a go at making one. Did you work from plans? And if so, where did you get them?

I have one of those cheap veneered 'fake' clocks that I got from an auction, maybe I can use that as a basis for a plan before it is designted to firewood.

Cheers,
Ray.

Certainly an item to be proud of Bob, hope it is appreciated by the family for many generations.

Thank you for all the nice comments lads. Yes, I`m well pleased wih how it came out myself. I just broke up the old clock today that was made from some crappy wild grained mahogany type wood. Before I had at it with a lump hammer, I stood back and had a long look at how well I did`nt construct this first attempt I made some thirty years ago. I was just starting to get into this woodworking passion of ours and I was`nt very good at all then. I`ve learnt a lot over the years and looking at the new replacement, my woodworking certainly has improved.

Smiffy, I originally bought the plans from Charles Greville Clocks who have now been taken over by Craft Supplies. I also bought the clock movement from them as well, and looking in the Craft Supplies catalogue, they still sell the very same movement for sale after all these years. I`ve just had a look in the latest Craft Suppliies catalogue and they don`t sell this design clock, but they do have five very nice designs there, four of them are arch dial.

The next project is a coffee table before I get back to luthiery.

That is nice. Well done, you must be very proud to have it on display!

Adam

A lovely clock and great WIP telling the story of its making.

I feel inspired to make one myself but suspect I might need a few more years practice to reach this high level of skill

Latest posts

Back