Satin finish for clock case

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fergie 307

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Folks looking for some advice. I have a late 19th century American wooden clock case to restore. It originally had a satin black painted finish. Someone has refinished some parts of it in what looks like blackboard paint, complete with brush marks and drips ! Have never had to do a satin finish in black on something like this and wondered if anyone can recommend a suitable paint, either spray or brush.

I presume you are going to sand the case back and recoat the entire thing. I find the Chestnut range of spray cans good for small objects and they do an ebonizing spray. You can spray a satin lacquer over it if you think it's too glossy. I heat the cans in hot water for a few mins which helps the lacquer disperse and use one of those can holders to spray - the can will be too hot to hold anyway. You get a nice jet black finish - not a dark shade of grey. :giggle:

Wickes have an excellent matte and satin blackboard paint. I usually prefer to use the matte version. it quite literally turns whatever you paint into a black hole. best put on with a sponge roller

I presume you are going to sand the case back and recoat the entire thing. I find the Chestnut range of spray cans good for small objects and they do an ebonizing spray. You can spray a satin lacquer over it if you think it's too glossy. I heat the cans in hot water for a few mins which helps the lacquer disperse and use one of those can holders to spray - the can will be too hot to hold anyway. You get a nice jet black finish - not a dark shade of grey. :giggle:
I must admit my first thought was to paint it black then finish with a satin lacquer. Just wondered if anyone has experience with a satin paint as such as I haven't tried this before.

While I think about it Rustoleum sprays are also very good, Acetone based so a bit smelly but dries very quickly and give a great finish. Not tried the Chestnut ones but will have a look. Thanks.

Back