Lock repair -ers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dusty

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening all
I am currently renovating an old chest / cabinet and it has 3 small locks on it , 2 for drawers and one for the doors , it relies on the lock on the door working to hold it shut as has no other means to secure itself I have a little problem as it's slide has worn so does not function properly . It is only about 2 1/2 long and the slide is made from softish metal hence the ware as shown in the picture below .
IMG_1310_zps80f13861.jpg

So to my predicament . does anyone know of any good repairers who could do this sort of work , I would happily change the lock altogether but the 3 are keyed alike and the escutcheon is set so can not alter it plus the doors have already been butchered to fit these locks as they are no the originals . I would have a go myself if I had the time or patience to sit down with a needle file and wittle my evenings away .

Basicaly the slide does not tun forwards enough to be effective or to allow the top slide to drop and lock it in place .

Any help would be greatly appreciated .

Kind regards Dusty .

A gun smith could probably do this quite easily as its not an uncommon fault on sidelock shotguns. Might be a little £££ though. Just a thought....

Hi Dusty, when you say "slide" do you mean the bolt? If so, it looks to me as though there is a little wear on one corner but that does not look as though it is enough to stop it from catching in the keeper. A common problem with door locks is, the door shrinks and so the bolt will no longer reach, or the bolt has worn away the timber that acts as the keeper. If that is the case there are a few ways to remedy the problem. I would first look at the opposite door and see if there is significant wear, if there is you can place a patch in and chisel it out to the original profile, a quicker way might be to add a small metal plate over the worn timber. Another way may be to remove either or both doors and pack out the hinges with a slither of veneer, this will bring the doors closer together but you may then have to adjust bolt holes. If you can braze or know somebody that does you could extend the bolt. If non of that appeals to you you could look at replacing the lock http://www.martin.co.uk/orderOnline_Pro ... ctCode=570 I know you said the locks are keyed alike but if the other two are drawer locks and this is a cupboard lock I don't think it really matters.
Hope this info is helpful.

mrpercysnodgrass":8kx5y5ps said:
Hi Dusty, when you say "slide" do you mean the bolt? If so, it looks to me as though there is a little wear on one corner but that does not look as though it is enough to stop it from catching in the keeper. A common problem with door locks is, the door shrinks and so the bolt will no longer reach, or the bolt has worn away the timber that acts as the keeper. If that is the case there are a few ways to remedy the problem. I would first look at the opposite door and see if there is significant wear, if there is you can place a patch in and chisel it out to the original profile, a quicker way might be to add a small metal plate over the worn timber. Another way may be to remove either or both doors and pack out the hinges with a slither of veneer, this will bring the doors closer together but you may then have to adjust bolt holes. If you can braze or know somebody that does you could extend the bolt. If non of that appeals to you you could look at replacing the lock http://www.martin.co.uk/orderOnline_Pro ... ctCode=570 I know you said the locks are keyed alike but if the other two are drawer locks and this is a cupboard lock I don't think it really matters.

The word is SLIVER. !!! SNakes slither but slinters etc are sliVers.
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Frank S":hbnaype6 said:
mrpercysnodgrass":hbnaype6 said:

What, pray tell, is a slinter?

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Somewhere on this forum, during the last year or so, there was a mention of someone who offered just the service you are asking for! Searching begins...

marcros":32o51inn said:
Frank S":32o51inn said:
mrpercysnodgrass":32o51inn said:

What, pray tell, is a slinter?

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

A slinter is a splip of the fligger when typing ing a hurry.!!

Thank for the replies guys . I will take a look at the link now . It is the piece that slides , the bolt , sorry for the mis leading info , was typing in haste too and not thinking . The doors are very tightly fitted and the shape would not lend it to alterations very easily .
IMG_0708_zpsfc94cb8f.jpg

The lock is the only means to keep the said door shut and the siting of the escutcheon makes it even more of a problem to switch it for a replica .

Thank you for the help and I will keep you all posted as to my success .

Kind regards Dusty

The problem in my mind is not the part of the bolt that extends beyond the edge of the lock but the worn part of the bolt below the lever that engages with the key, a new spring would certainly help. The solution may be that a new key is needed with a slightly longer throw. If you can take a better 'photo send it to my son's business [email protected] he may be able to help. His business is in Reigate, Surrey. If the solution is a new key he would then need all three locks and an original key.

Brian

Back