Yet another Startrite TA275 Query..

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Esplan

Reaction score
Hello All,
I recently traded my Sedgwick TA315 in in favour of a TA 275. I'd owned one previously and much preferred it, so when the chance came to literally exchange one for the other, I took it.
Mine is the all-singing deluxe version, the DS with sliding table, in incredibly good condition for it's age.
It came complete with the longer extension table, the legs, the mitre gauge, TWO rare-as-rocking-horse-whatsit flip stops for the sliding table fence and even the extension bar for the sliding table.

Anyway, onto my questions:

1) None of the original tool-kit intact sadly, does anyone happen to know what should be in those clips inside the door on the left of the saw?
2) What size bar (metric preferably) fits into the Arbour lock?
3) Not sure how to word this so it makes sense but were the fence extension bars always the same length (15 1/2" iirc) or did they make a longer version? I can't decide if mine are long or if they've been screwed together so tightly that the join is imperceptible? Ideally I'd like to be using one extension bar, rather than two joined together.

TIA.
Tim

I had another look at the ALT saws and spares manual for that without result.
https://www.sharkbandsawblades.co.uk/startrite_spare_parts_and_handbooks.htmlPresumably you've got the metric version with the updated rails, as per above.

I'm guessing the brass strip with measurements in either imperial or metric might denote this also?
I've got the more recent imperial version, presumably shortly before the switchover, but not so recent the rails were updated,
should that be the case they ceased to make imperial units.?

Sorry I can't be of help, but suggest Deema might be the one who would have an answer,
should it be in the archives
I didn't highlight his name as he looks to be extremely busy with construction of a workshop.

Google images seems to have been rendered for phone scrolling nowadays,
and it's getting difficult to find info.
Just adding I was going to pester ye with a query I have with my extension rails,
as one is a lot stiffer than the other, I suspect there might be reason for this,
though it could be just as likely an accident caused that.
I've not really looked into getting the holes for the extension wing lined up,
as my saw didn't come with those,
and I decided to make a stand alone solution for that instead, as I didn't want the weight of a router table wing on the rails.

Tom

In the rack there should be 4 extensions for the RH table which were all the same size, a shorter bar which I think was of a smaller diameter to extend the sliding table.
There are two loops which held the spindle nut spanner and two clips which held the bar that goes through the table top to lock the spindle when changing the blade.

My arbour lock is 6mm

The clips are to hold tools as per previous post.

Both my RH table extension and sliding table extension are single pieces about 300mm

My arbour lock is 6mm

The clips are to hold tools as per previous post.

Both my RH table extension and sliding table extension are single pieces about 300mm
I could be wrong, but I believe the original DS had the same size sliding table extension bar as the RH extensions, but the updated version with ball bearing runners on the slider was a smaller diameter.…….but I can’t be absolutely certain🤔

Thanks all,
I had been browsing the manual via ALT (Shark) spares and like TTree above had not found any relevant information pertaining to the "tool kit" but Deema has clearly answered what I had already assumed.
In my case, this is indeed where I found the shorter bar for extending the sliding table, I have the earlier non-ball bearing runners and the bar circumference is identical to the RH table extension bars.

Deema has also answered my question regarding the RH extension table bars - I have four of 15 1/2" long but they are so tightly wound together that you could be mistaken for thinking they are two of 31" long.

The arbour locking bar size is particularly useful also, thank you - in old money I make that 1/4" or there abouts. I'd hazard a guess at 12" (300mm) long?
Mine is an imperial scale on both the sliding table (starting at 10" on the right and going up to 36") and on the front fence bar (start at 0, going to 24"). Both scales are currently out of alignment with the saw blade but I think they can be adjusted. I may cover them with a metric sticky-backed paper job via amazon but I tend to take my measurements directly from the tooth as it were.

The pointer on the main fence has a grub screw holding it in place, slacked the grub screw and adjust the pointer to calibrate the main fence……it’s not unusual to find the pointer has been replaced with a bent nail😂

The sliding fence is adjusted by moving the bar it rides on in and out. Very fiddly on the earlier version as it also adjusts the fence squareness to the blade.

in my case, the scale is inset into the sliding table and not attached to the fence at all, which is attached to the table via two holes that form part of the casting. I’ll photograph tomorrow for posterity of anyone who may like to use this thread as reference in the future.

I also forget to mention that my saw came with the factory-fitted optional dust collection port on the lower left, beneath the tool storage door. When new, it surely must have been absolutely top of the line from Startrite!

in my case, the scale is inset into the sliding table and not attached to the fence at all, which is attached to the table via two holes that form part of the casting. I’ll photograph tomorrow for posterity of anyone who may like to use this thread as reference in the future.

I also forget to mention that my saw came with the factory-fitted optional dust collection port on the lower left, beneath the tool storage door. When new, it surely must have been absolutely top of the line from Startrite!
Hi Tim, the scale is set into the sliding table for all the generations of the saw. It’s not adjustable……well on all the saws I’ve been fortunate to play with it hasn’t been🤣🤣

The dust collection box is fairly rare, not very effective, but a lovely accessory to have. I think only the OE rear take off table is less common to come across. At one stage, I owned and used a saw for which I had collected every accessory they ever made for the saw.
The shaw pressure guards which can also be used to ‘tunnel’ the blade are really nice to have and very useful. They come up occasionally on auction sites, but usually sell for an awful lot of money. I’ve often bought saws just because of the accessories that come with them which are often collectively worth far more than the sale price of the saw!

Back