UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaymar

Established Member
Reaction score
I am puzzled by the reluctance of many forum members to give some indication of their location, especially when requesting help. nobody wants to know the exact location but an area would help in lots of instances.

jaymar":156ek6e0 said:
I am puzzled by the reluctance of many forum members to give some indication of their location, especially when requesting help. nobody wants to know the exact location but an area would help in lots of instances.

I agree- I also live in Leeds and Kenneth Cooke is my real name- what's yours?

jaymar":9m5s9kny said:

I am down on the River (Illinois) South of Chicago Illinois by about 80 miles.There is nothing out here but Cornfields.....and fish.

I live in Essex - I think you understand why I'd want to keep that under wraps...

Actually live in a very lovely bit of Essex that's a short cycle ride to either the sea and or (modern civlisation) Suffolk. The end of my road is, as far as I am aware, just about the only place in the UK where you can gaze over three National Nature Reserves - so there. I put something fun in my location box because I'd rather put something fun in my location box, not because I want to keep my location secret. I'd well understand however if someone wanted to keep their location to themselves and also their real name. Among other things I think one of the reasons why the internet is a great leveler is anonymity - I think there is similar value in respecting anonymity on the 'net as there is in free and fair elections.

My real name is Felicity Fumblebottom.

Most people on internet forums like to preserve their anonymity, at least to some degree.

As a professional woodworker, I like to be able to discuss aspects of my trade without clients or competitors being able to attribute any comments I make directly to me.

I have in the past contributed to an American forum that requires members to use their real identity. A competitor googling my name found out about plans I had to relocate my workshop - before I had given notice to my landlord! This could have proved very embarrassing.

Such is the power of Google that being specific about my location would quickly identify me - hence my leaving it a little vague.

Cheers
'Dan'

I agree with Dan - a good example was a few years ago we had bought a 'Paddle step' loft stair case - within a year the steps were splitting in two and was fast becoming dangerous.

I wrote to the company (quite a large outlet store) but had no answer - tried calling but they never got back to me so I got the company directors name from a basic Google search.

Next search was on his name and the company name which led me to a web site for a local Cricket team which he was a member of and sat on the committee - the web site had his phone number and email!

I sent him an email apologising for invading his private mail but explained all else had failed - within two weeks I had a brand new better version stair case delivered by the area manager :lol:

I can see where people want to preserve their anonymity and I wouldn't suggest name and address but a simple area location, even county, would make giving advise much easier in many cases. We all tend to know our own ares and can offer more detailed advise if we know if the knowledge would be relevant.

Back