Lizards - Help please - DON'T laugh!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AES

Established Member
Reaction score
Somehow or other we've got a little lizard-type animal indoors now. Been here for the past 2 or 3 days, but no idea how he/she got in.

But now, how do we get him/her/it out without damaging it or us please? Any ideas?

The little so-and-so moves like greased lightning every time we get anywhere near it, and all attempts to catch him with dustpans, chucking bits of old net curtain, etc, over him have completely failed so far - it actually looks like a comedy film with my wife and I prancing around like a pair of idiots, and he seems to be clever enough that every time we think we've got him cornered he just waits a bit, then as we draw very near he just darts around/behind/past us like a rocket.

I can't say I'm a huge lover of reptiles but we think he deserves a fair shot of getting back where he belongs. And apart from anything else, if he dies of hunger here (what do lizard-thingies eat anyway? insects?), surely he'll begin to stink after a while - IF we could find his corpse that is - so far he seems to squeeze himself into seemingly impossibly-small gaps in between wall panelling, behind built-in cupboards, etc.

We're into a sudden cold spell now, so although we did think about leaving the back door open all night, that's not really an option right now - it snowed here yesterday.

If it helps at all, he's about 6 inches long overall, a green-ish/grey-ish colour, and does not zip up and down walls like the chit-chats we used to get when we lived in Asia - but he DOES zoom about the place like a rocket anytime we get near him!

Helpppppppp!

AES

Not laughing, but we really need a video of you trying to catch the little so-and-so. :-D

I said NO laughing! (Anyway, no video camera -probably just as well). :D

The snow was quite hard yesterday but at about +5 deg it didn't stay white for long. And it's "only" forecast for +1 tonight with a light ground frost, so why should my heating keep him warm? (hammer)

Any serious suggestions please?

AES

I would try spraying with cold water, they slow down when they are cold then get a glass, bucket or similar container over it, slide a piece of cardboard underneath and take it outside.

Alternatively, live with it they keep the insects down. We always have one when we go to Florida as you say comes and goes, about 3-4 ins long.

HTH

Brian

Spray it with water then drop it in the snow?! :shock: Good luck little Lizard. It's a hard world out there. :|

Sounds like maybe a Wall Lizard (no, I'm no expert, just used Google).

http://www.sauria.org.uk/cap_breed/animals/muralis.htm

If so, they eat fruit as well as insects.

I'd try a deep bucket with a batten clamped to it, projecting out to the middle, and a tipping platform on the end. Grape on the platform and see how it goes.

Can lizards climb out of buckets? You would be able to tell us.

If they can run on the ceiling and walls I'm guessing a bucket is going to be a doddle.
Quick google and lo and behold they don't do clingfilm. :wink:
http://alpha.cartercole.com/2010/10/how ... -trap.html

Make sure it's not got any mates though.
LDiJvGn.png

A couple of years ago my wife came home to find an exotic snake wrapped around the door handle, she thought it was plastic till the head came up and hissed at her - PANIC!
One hysterical phone call later and I have driven the eight miles back from work to find what turned out to be a very annoyed little corn snake in a large plastic box.
A passerby sorted it out whilst was on my way home!

I feel for you.

Perhaps get a large bed sheet that you can throw over it. Hopefully it's not so fast that it will outrun such a large surface area falling on it. At that point hopefully it can't detect you as well and you can scoop the sheet up or lure it into something else and take it outside.

Edit : or perhaps lay the sheet down first, and scare it onto it, and then you and someone else pick it up from either side

nev":2ild100i said:

My Grandad used to catch wood pigeons like that. "I'll let it go later boys. They need a bit of time to settle down before they can fly away."
Didn't occur to me till years later we ate pigeon quite a lot at my Grandad's house.

Why not simply use it as an actor in a stop motion animation remake of Jurassic Park.

Think outside the box boys.

You have the answer. Lizards are cold blooded. Whichever room its in, close it off, turn off the heating and open the windows to chill it down. Then it will be fairly easy to catch. As long as its mates dont come in the open windows of course.

Do you have native lizards in switzerland? If not, its someones pet and you should ask the neighbours. Or, search for the nearest herpetological society and some one will gladly come round and take it off your hands.

we have dozens of lizards in our garden and around the house. Just yesterday we had to shoo a 5" house gecko out the back door. good thing is they are completely harmless, even if they do make you jump.

Thanks all. Will try the box first, then the big sheet, then the cold room (don't want to try that 1st as it's presently quite cold here over night and we have insect screens over the window in this particular - basement - room and if we open those all his brothers and sisters and aunts & uncles may come in to join him, rather than him going out).

Sunnybob, yes we do have "normal" lizards here (seen quite a few in the garden on sunny days) and also the black and yellow ones (Salamaders?) which are quite rare here and I understand legally protected - as said, I'm no particular reptile fan but I certainly don't wish the little so-and-so any harm - any of them actually.

AES

Lizard catching is not a skill that is called upon much in this warm UK climate :D

I did actually see a common lizard on Ashdown forest last year, so we do have some lizards.

If possible cool and slightly darken the room and place a desk lamp [or similar] with an incandescent bulb [spot if available] pointing down to the floor of the trap. The lizard should be attracted to the heat/light source.
I am assuming this is a daytime lizard so this will of course work best during the day.
If you could assemble a transparent container with some lively insects in it that would also be a strong attractant.

I used to breed lizards and catching them can be an occasional hazard.

you dont have to open the insect screens, just the window to chill the room. It makes them run at half speed.

I am surprised you have lizards, especially when the snow is around. Though I am by no means an expert.
Here in the summer time, you can barely take two steps through grass without seeing a couple small ones run away, but by november, they are gone till april again.

Pure guesswork here, but is it a day time lizard? If so, they dont see infra red, so you may be able to sneak up on it the dark by using a dim red torch. But that is a guess, based on my small knowledge of turtles, which are loosely related.

If you are going to try to throw a blanket over it and then scrunch the blanket, be gentle. The tails break off easy. An adult healthy one can regrow it, but a small one generally doesnt survive. And thats from personal experience here.

Back