Little & Large of Yankees - lucky find.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chubber

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
This morning at Ivybridge tip re-use shop.

£1.30p for both.

I know, Dear, I wasn't going to be buying any more tools, and besides I've never seen a little one like that before, and..

Yeah, whatever...

17167203826458788311815505787757.jpg

how good they are are screwing slotted screws.
When these were in common use there was nothing other than slotted screws, Lithium was unheard of amongst 99% of the population and for many bashing in nails was much easier than screws and you did not see large people on sites as it was hard graft.

I used to have a 15a, but in my inexperienced stoopid youth I managed to break it by tappy-tap-tapping with a hammer to free up jammed screws. Stanley Steelmaster I think it was. Probably 22oz. :ROFLMAO:

Anyway, as I recall they are incredibly handy, the ball handle fits in the cup of the hand perfectly, and that allows you to turn the knurled part with thumb and forefinger for fine tuning purposes. Very tactile little thing. Nice find!

I’ve got a couple but hardly ever use them. They got used a lot before I got drill drivers. Got some Robertson bits with mine when I was in Canada. I do use a push drill quite often though for pre drilling screw holes for picture mounting hardware.

I have a 131 that I bought when I started working in touring theater. Still have all the original bits. I did buy a hex adapter, but rarely use it.
Occasionally take it with me to work to show the young engineers what cordless drivers looked like before the internet :)

Still have the Yankee 131B in my toolbag from being an apprentice and use it occasionally for removing stubborn slotted screws, usually period doors when you need a bit of leverage.
It's a great reminder of how we worked before cordless drills when you get it out.

Back