Literary agents

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digit

Established Member
Reaction score
Anybody on this forum have experience of a British literary agent for sci fi writings?

Roy.

Sorry Roy i can't help you but I am a keen Sci-Fi reader so if you tell us when it gets published I shall keep an eye open :D

I'd have thought Mr. Google could point you in the right direction

It can Losos, hundreds of 'em! But which to chose, I was taken on by an American agent but when I read the contract closely I gave 'em a pass.

Roy.

Digit":bknu8c58 said:
It can Losos, hundreds of 'em! But which to chose, I was taken on by an American agent but when I read the contract closely I gave 'em a pass.

Roy.

Ah someone who actually reads his contract :lol: Well done. That is the problem with Google - information overload. As I said I can't think of anyone right now, maybe the old brain will eventually come up with something, if so I'll get back to you.

Why not see if you can find a local writers circle who might be able to put you in touch with someone? Also, the Open University might be able to put you in touch with a tutor who runs a creative writing course and would have contacts. I know about OU creative writing courses - I'm signed up for one beginning in February :) .

You might even be able to find someone through this American site which has some very worthwhile podcasts for aspiring authors.

Gill

Not round here Gill, I live in God Forsaken, three miles after the Back of Beyond! :lol:
I'll give the site a try though.

Roy.

Gill":2i5979x4 said:
I know about OU creative writing courses - I'm signed up for one beginning in February :) .
Gill

Bravo - I hope you'll come back on here and tell us how it goes, also if it's not to personal, what genre (Hope that's the right word :) ) will you be writing :?:

I'll stick my neck out here and say that, as far as I know, I am not in need of a course on writing, though if any body cares to read some of my work and give an honest opinion I'll be only too pleased to hear from them.
The problem is that which is faced by all aspiring writers, generating a spark of interest in agents or publishers when you don't have a proven track record.
Even Freddie Forsyth had over 30 rejections before his first work was accepted.
I wrote to a British publisher and sent a sample, they replied, saying that they were not taking on any further writes but believed that I had a future as I writer, I was accepted by an American Company that would have given me about 50p per copy, before tax, on a very limited print run. I declined.

Roy.

What have you written? Is it a short or novel(la)? One way to ease into publication is via the magazines, SCIFI has (or at least used to have) a couple of good ones - Analog was my favourite. Submissions to them were paid and as I say paved the way to the book publishers door.

There are also a large pile of online journals which accept submissions (paid and otherwise) - its always worth looking at them. Some of them have print versions as well which can mean double bubble depending on how they operate.

cheers Mike

ps if you want readers and opinions I'm always happy to oblige though not necessarily the fastest to get back to you with a review.

About a dozen so far, mainly Sci-fi novels, plus some non fiction that I'm working on.
I have had works published in various learned journals, but that is not, I find, a suitable background for fiction, but it does help with the word smithing.
I might just take you up on your offer. Asking friends is a dead loss as they tend to be scared of causing offense.

Roy.

Arthur C. Clarke once entered into a competition to write a story using just 6 words, he used 10, and refused to reduce the number.
I would have to write specially for that market in view of their 4000 word requirement. Not impossible but at the moment I'm more interested in getting what I've written looked at by an agent, preferably in the UK.

Roy.

Losos":197ym5t3 said:
Gill":197ym5t3 said:
I know about OU creative writing courses - I'm signed up for one beginning in February :) .
Gill

Bravo - I hope you'll come back on here and tell us how it goes, also if it's not to personal, what genre (Hope that's the right word :) ) will you writing :?:
Thanks for the support :) .

Although I've done a lot of writing since I left school so many years ago, it's always been factual, aimed at getting information across. However, when I was at school I enjoyed writing fiction and seemed to get a lot of praise for it. One of the reasons that I'm taking a course is to learn about writing as a proper craft, rather in the same way that we learn about woodwork as a proper craft. Of course, the difference is that woodworkers use physical tools whereas writers use linguistic tools.

Once I've got more idea of the writing style and techniques that suit me, I'll have more idea of the genre I'll write. I rather think it might turn out to be light comedy but perhaps it may be sci-fi or trashy thrillers. Hmmm... we've had detective gardeners, detective priests, detective chefs; it might be time for a detective carpenter :lol: !

Gill

Digit,

You may have come across this already but there is a book called the writers and artists year book that lists publishers.

http://www.writersandartists.co.uk
(I think this is the correct one)

Never read it, but my father-in-law has had a couple of books published (crime / thriller) and the year book is always on his xmas list.

In my humble opinion the Sci Fi and Fantasy section of most bookshops has become way to much Fantasy and not enough Sci Fi for my liking.

Good luck, it will probably be a hard slog but well worth it.

Cheers

Ed

Yes Ed, my daughter bought the latest edition whilst I was in hospital. The problem is I then found a wood working forum that I enjoy so much I haven't had time to read the darn thing.
See, it's all your fault! :lol:

Roy.

Gill":3cbx7osz said:
it might be time for a detective carpenter :lol: !
Gill

Wow, that would (wood :wink: ) be interesting :lol: The number of puns as possible titles is mind boggling :lol:

Already published of course is the 'Wood butcher' but I'll resist the temptation to add more :roll:

Back