Linisher advice please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flintandsteel

Established Member
Reaction score
I've decided I need a Linisher.
Drove 150 mile round trip this morning to look at an old Clark that sounded like a bulldozer in a scrap yard. Left it sulking in its shed. Currently on EB at £150 and in need of a full rebuild at least.
There are plenty of lower end options out there but probably of Chinese parentage.
Would like it now but can wait.
It'll never have heavy usage but the versatility is offers would be most welcome.
Any brand recommendations? Old or new

If you want to spend some €€
Fein (Germany) have a range of portable and industrial stand mount belt linishers these days.
I think they bought an existing Swedish company to get them.
Google for Fein, "Grit" (the name of the company, retained as a sub brand for now), and Helsinki.

You could get a Sorby Pro edge and use that with the bonus of being able to sharpen stuff well. It is only small though.
I have an axminster oscillating belt sander that is pretty much a linisher it's great.
I have seen some knifemakers make up their own systems with long belts and movable bearings on a framework.

Is it for wood or metal?
How big does it need to be?

Ollie

Mainly for wood. The Clarke one I looked at was maybe 20" long. Big heavy beast. I'd prefer a decent one better than DIY level but less than full pro workshop. As usual most are down south rather than Northern UK.
It'll enable me to give the RSI I now have in both hands, a decent rest.
So good used one wold be fine.
My thanks

mine was €25.....needed nothing...all cast iron.....
after years of service had to buy a new motor.....
normally it's portable....work shop flooring is a bit rough for wheels.......lol....it's an outside barn with no sides....
1' thick steel plate.....bits of scrap for the stand.....
take ur time, wait they are out there....
the sorby linisher is over priced n cheaply made .......
IMG_7462.jpeg
IMG_7464.jpeg

Mainly for wood. The Clarke one I looked at was maybe 20" long. Big heavy beast. I'd prefer a decent one better than DIY level but less than full pro workshop. As usual most are down south rather than Northern UK.
It'll enable me to give the RSI I now have in both hands, a decent rest.
So good used one wold be fine.
My thanks
I would suggest something like the Axminster ( or a different coloured Chinese machine ) oscillating one I have. You can have the belt flat, vertical, or angles between.
Mine is the old version, the new ones have a better rise and fall adjustment on the bed.
I put a wheeled base on it so it can be moved about because it's about 100kg.

Number one tip for these is the regular use of crepe rubber cleaner block.

It's funny you say everything's down south, every time I find a bargain machine it's in Scotland !!!

Triton do a mini bench top thing that converts to a bobin sander or belt sander, might be worth a look.

Ollie

Look out for a Wadkin BGY3 which combines a Linisher with a 16” disc sander. Not a very big machine, but very heavy! They usually sent that expensive and it will hold / increase its value.

The Sorby is good for sharpening and it's economical to have a wide range of belts for that job. It is too small for use in knife making though and hopeless as a wood tool. I have an Axminster linisher that is OK - 6" wide belts. Motor is not man enough for the job. I would wait to find a used cast iron industrial one.

I think I have found the Clark one you were referring to on the bay. I have the same machine but branded as Warco. Bought new at a good discount at one of their show events. Only fault really is that the bracket that holds the table for the disc sander is flimsy to put it mildly. I made a replacement out of some decent gauge steel. Mine has had a lot of use and has given me no problems. Not the greatest quality machine, but does the job and pretty robust apart from the bracket. If you are not in a hurry then definitely worth looking around for a good older machine. I also have a little Rexon one, which is very handy for small stuff. The Rexon is good in that the upright support behind the belt doesn't go all the way up so there is a section of unsupported belt above it. This can be very useful if you want to make a rounded shape as the unsupported section of belt will flex around the piece.

Today reminded me why I need one. Mebi getting too old and repetitive tasks.
Just looked at the Axminster on line and It'd do the job nicely. At about £200 it might be enough.
Would still keep looking for an older British made beastie but no rush.
That old Clarke up near Newcastle looked like it had been well hammered and used mainly for metalwork.

Latest posts

Back