Lidl Scroll saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started scrolling with a Lidl scrollsaw. it was ok for a trial to see if I enjoyed scrolling. if you do get one I would advise buying a set of clamps so you can use pinless blades. Axminster sell them for a couple of quid. It is a cheap saw, so don't expect too much and be prepared to bolt it to the table because of vibration
Regards
Brendan

it about the same basic design and manufacture as many of the other cheap saws available, not dissimilar to the old Wickes branded saw I was given many years ago that I still have but never use. This saw will work for someone who does a bit of woodwork and wants to cut tight curves that a normal bandsaw struggles with but if you want to do real fretwork buy something better.
I would not buy one of these but I don't know how they can sell it a such a low price,no wonder decent British makers making quality machinery either went out of business or moved production to the far east!

Only buy this if you want a saw for general woodworking, it will be fine for that but forget it if you want to do proper fretwork.

Edited for rubbish spelling!

As above, it's a 'generic' design (same as the SiP I had) and I produced some 'ok' results with it.

However, if you want 'great' results, set your sights (and your price bracket) a bit higher.

not thinking of getting it just wondered about it considering the generaly okish quality of other parkside stuff

They have a sharpening station in at the moment. 16 notes from memory. Adjustable angles for plane and chisel blades. What's everyone going to argue about now that the sharpening debate is resolved? :mrgreen:

Claymore":2a6sggm5 said:
I have bought quite a few Parkside stuff have found most of it to be just as good quality as the other brands that charge double but one thing I have noticed is anything that cuts or drills doesn't last very long.... stuff like drill bits and saws and quite a few of their screwdrivers have broken but you can save a fortune on items like sandpaper/dremel sanding drums but ignore their rotary tools and power screwdrivers...... got a few in the workshop that won't recharge or hold a charge.
Their 1500w shop vacs are brilliant though and worth investing in.
Cheers
Brian

Their drill bits are poor quality, their saw blades have always been ok for me, especially things like recip saw blades that never last long anyway. The japanese style saws they have sold recently were superb value for money, I bought spares as I liked them so much. Mostly used their corded power tools which have been fine, only cordless tool I have is a small 10.8v drill, had it about 2 years now, absolutely love it, but it does only see light use as it's my dedicated tool bag drill. Had bad luck with some Aldi cordless tools in the past and their corded are not quite as good either I find.

I've got an old Axminster Scroll saw (I say old it's white but with the old logo) it doesn't work, I can't work out if it would be best to get it repaired or buy the Lidl one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought one and it looks ok. I haven't quite finished fettling it so I will report how it all turned out in a couple of days time. I have done a bit of fixing on it but for the money it seems not too bad a buy so far.
As a retired Toolmaker/Maintenance Engineer I have met some problems in my time so I hopefully can get this machine cutting ok.

take care
Don W

I look forward to your review donwatson. It'll be interesting to see how it fares

I have had a play with this machine and it is great quality and very good value for money IMHO.
It takes pinned and unpinned blades. The machine has Parkside stickers on it but the plate with the registration number on says Scheppach. So far I am very pleased with it, and as I already have Olsen blades that I use on the club scrollsaws I am happy to use them.
The only thing was the blades supplied, these were pinned and quite heavy but there didn't seem to be much kerf on them and they were a bit sticky at cutting.
Overall I must say I am a happy bunny and if all else fails the guarantee is good. :wink:

I would say the machine is identical. One thing it brings up is that the table top needs a rub to smooth it out, I see the last picture on the Screwfix site shows a saw with a black table, the rest of the pics show the table supplied and it definitely needs a rub to make it easier to use.

Just popped into lidl, you never know what you might find....
Thought some of you might like to know its been reduced (at my store Waltham Abbey anyway), to £50. They still have loads after a week or two on the shelf. (Sanders were also reduced btw)
Cheers
Chris

Back