Lidded Box in painted sycamore

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turn It In

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,
Thought I would share my latest competition entry from this weeks club competition. The object to enter was a lidded box and rather than turn one in an exotic hardwood, as i had just bought some 4x4 inch sycamore i cut a section off and spun it up. After producing the overall profile I sprayed it matt black and then using an air brush i diluted a drop of Jo Sonjars iridescent turquoise and misted the whole job while it rotated slowly in the lathe. Then a little attention with a gold paint pen and finally a polished brass piece to top it out.
I was very pleased with the resulting first place in the competition and as the other ten entries were all worthy examples and natural wood finish the field was wide open and down to members personal choice.
I hope you enjoy the finished result as much as i enjoyed making it.
Your comments and critique are most welcome.
Regards,
Ian
Pics010.jpg

Pics012.jpg

Pics011.jpg

Hi Guys,
Thank you for your comments. The spirals were cut by hand with a rasp and then a micro plane and finished with abrasive paper wrapped around a suitable piece of dowel. I spaced them with 10mm masking tape as a guide.
Regards
Ian

Here we go again :mrgreen: I'm one of the 'not a turner' lot, and almost every time I pop over to your side for a look, I get a shock... I mean a very good one. Seriously impressive. I'm still battling with the skew... I may need to ask for help.
I really like it because it's clever but looks great too... and from Hull? Truly remarkable :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back