July Challenge - A finial box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nev

Established Member
Reaction score
A Finial Box

Back to a more traditional turned form this month, a finial box - a lidded vessel with a pointy bit on top. There may be questions as to when a box becomes a vase? all down to height vs width I guess, but in any case either will be acceptable as long as it is a hollowed form with a fitted lid and a pointy bit on top.

Usual rules:
Open to anyone and everyone.
To be made on the lathe using wood turning tools.
no minimum or maximum size.

Can be made of multiple woods if desired
Decoration, colouring, texturing is allowed, but again remember its about the turning :wink:

Please post 3 or 4 images of your work along with a brief note about how you made it, what tools and finish you used, what wood (if known) and the objects dimensions etc.

1 showing a general view
1 showing a lid off, top down/ internal view
1 showing an underside view
1 optional photo showing any other feature you think might be of interest

Image size please use image size 640 x 480 0.3 mp, same previous months

Please upload your pics and description between ..

10pm on the 26th
and
10pm on the 28th

After this time the thread will be locked for Judging
Results will be given on or around 30th

This months judge will be Paul Hannaby

Any entry's that are outside the rules and requirements will not be judged
The Judges decision is final ( Any negative comments re judging must be via PM only and not on the open forum )
NO Critique or comments on any work until After the Judging and results please.

Any questions please post them in this thread. Have fun! and just a reminder ANYONE can join in

Planning to give this one a go! I did a lamp back in May but didn't get it finished in time (due to lathe problems) + unfortunately not enough weekends at home to do the animal in June.

Chris

Golly! I did a thing that kinda falls into this category at the weekend. The oak I used was full of cracks & splits through bad drying.
I've never entered a competition before.
Maybe this is worth it for a laugh. I better take some better photos of it though if I'm to have a bash. I took 2 photos for my blog, and they were a bit on the ropey side. (too much of the falling-over water)

Melinda_dd":2nlbhd2i said:
Bottom done just need a lid and pokey upy bit now!!!

Hope the move went smoothly and you have the workshop set back up again

Good to see at least the lathe got unpacked Mel and you're back in the comps.

Even the sticky uppy bit done here.

Phil

Nearly finished my very basic effort, as it's my first foray in these challenges I wanted to keep it simple but now I am concerned about the sticky up bit. What is the difference between a finial and a small knob to lift the lid of with. ....

Sheptonphil":1d8arsyj said:
Melinda_dd":1d8arsyj said:
Bottom done just need a lid and pokey upy bit now!!!

Hope the move went smoothly and you have the workshop set back up again

Good to see at least the lathe got unpacked Mel and you're back in the comps.

Even the sticky uppy bit done here.

Phil

Hi Phil

The move was ok... tiring but not too bad thanks.

The garage is still floor to ceiling with loft stuff ..... still cant find anything .... but I need my space!
So a corner has been cleared so I can at least turn!! Can't find my sand paper, or half my tools.... but I can still turn!!

There's dedication, Melinda, congratulations!

I've done half of mine and don't know if I'll have time to finish, work has exploded this last week and I can only turn in the mornings anyway because of the heat even then with a fan going and sweat pouring down my face. Maybe tomorrow morning.... but I doubt it, there's too much going on. We have to make hay while the sun shines, July has been a disaster up to this week sales-wise and it's normally our best month.

Still, maybe on Sunday morning...who knows?

Back