Leytool Drill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bod

Established Member
Reaction score
Having just aquired one of these little hand drills, and been unable to find much out about it, apart from it was made between 1945 -1980. at some point the design changed to plastic from die-cast ali, which I have.
What have I got?
Usable little tool worth looking after, or just an example of something that should never have left the drawing board?
I have the usual assortment of Stanley 803/5 Keen/Miller Falls egg-beater hand drills, so this would be a "come in handy one day" tool.

Bod

Bod":1bka9fa1 said:
Having just aquired one of these little hand drills, and been unable to find much out about it, apart from it was made between 1945 -1980. at some point the design changed to plastic from die-cast ali, which I have.
What have I got?
Usable little tool worth looking after, or just an example of something that should never have left the drawing board?
I have the usual assortment of Stanley 803/5 Keen/Miller Falls egg-beater hand drills, so this would be a "come in handy one day" tool.

Bod

Very handy, since they're so SHORT; most hand drill are very long.

The Leytool will drill where other drills won't fit.

BugBear

I've had a few of these over the years, good little drills.

I seem to remember reading that they were originally designed with wartime aircraft maintenance in mind; short to fit between spars and in tight gaps within the airframe, and aluminium to avoid the possibility of sparks when working on fuelled aircraft.

this

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 2,556
Scouse":1y3jyt3y said:
I've had a few of these over the years, good little drills.

I seem to remember reading that they were originally designed with wartime aircraft maintenance in mind; short to fit between spars and in tight gaps within the airframe, and aluminium to avoid the possibility of sparks when working on fuelled aircraft.

That suggestion seems to fit with these adverts from the ever useful Grace's Guide:

711px-Im1943AFP-Ley.jpg

591px-Im194604MSM-Leyton.jpg

(From http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Leytonstone_Jig_and_Tool_Co)

I've just had mine apart, to discover the pin holding the pinion wheel, is not the normal "knock thru" type to remove, but driven in to a blind hole.
Has anyone ever removed one of these pins?
Inside was a bit greasy, graphite grease, black/green and sticky! The pin is slightly proud, and catching on the main gear wheel.
I am tempted just to repaint silver, to slow the "ally rot", and consider it a might come in handy one day tool.

Bod

Back