Using copper grease for hand tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Berry

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just finished restoring a little egg beater hand drill that was in quite a badly neglected state. One of the things I found strange was the use of copper grease inside the shaft. It did a great job of resisting the corrosion that really damaged the exterior surfaces. After clean up and lubrication with some light oil the action is silky smooth.

Is the use of copper grease in tools a normal practice? The only place I've ever used it is in braking systems to reduce squeal.

20210506_185319.jpg20210506_185547.jpg20210524_201311.jpg20210524_201440.jpg

prob with copper grease is that it dries out......
in your case a little wheel bearing grease would be better although if you have to buy some a little Vasalene will do just as well....

when I worked on heavy plant they used copper grease but we mixed it with ep 90 gearbox oil...then it never went hard.....
it was used on the bolts of the undercarriage of crawler cranes and the like....constanley submerged in all kinds of water....

Copper grease is normally intended for use in high temperature applications. Just how fast can you turn that drill? :) As clogs has said, use a wheel bearing or general purpose grease.

g.

Back