Walnut tool chest

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr edd

Established Member
Reaction score
IMG_2828[1].JPG

Hi
I have always liked David Baron's small Mk 2 tool chest
When a good friend practically gave me some 12'' x 1 ''walnut left over from a large job he had just completed i knew exactly what i wanted to use it for, however one thing and another got in way and once I planed the boards up at 7/8'' I bagged them up they sat unused for about 2 years.

I ended up hand planing them down to about 5/8'' (a dimension i have a strange affinity with, I just think it looks nice??) the wood stayed pretty flat after that, the sides were all out of one board, the top and bottom panels were jointed out of two smaller boards.

The internal tray supports and the tray when i eventually make it are from an Ash tree trunk i split and processed entirely by hand about 4 or 5 years ago. I built a bench out of the majority of that trunk but the quarter sawn leftovers have a pleasing ripple.

The 22mm planing/thicknessing was powered work, everything after has been hand tools,.

I do hope the photo's come out ok, i have never tried posting them before.

I was wondering what you guys do regarding pre-finishing a project like this, for example to the inside surfaces of the chest before dovetailing? and what work around's you might employ to negate any damage to the parts which cannot be easily finished planed once the joints have been cut, e.g the pin boards

Cheers Ed

Attachments

• IMG_2828[1].JPG
    IMG_2828[1].JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 404
  • IMG_2829[1].JPG
    IMG_2829[1].JPG
    85 KB · Views: 389
  • IMG_2836[1].JPG
    IMG_2836[1].JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 388
  • IMG_2834[1].JPG
    IMG_2834[1].JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 389
  • IMG_2832[1].JPG
    IMG_2832[1].JPG
    95 KB · Views: 389
Oh B#@?$r
I am now searching for how to rotate photographs, sorry chaps.

Mod edit:- images reloaded without EXIF data. CHJ

Thanks to the mod's for turning my pictures the right way up :D

Thanks very much, I have just enough 1/4 sawn ash to make the tray. I am going to attempt a piston fit tray, the ash lining's were shot in pretty square and were tight all the way down so i have some hope.
As long as i can resist the 'just one more shaving and takes three' affliction.
Cheers
Ed

If you click on the photo, they turn the right way around, and it is definitely worth clicking on the photos.

Gorgeous box, made from lovely wood. Inspiring stuff.

Indeed! Too good for tools, too big for jewellery - what a nice problem/challenge to have!

Thanks very much guys,
I will probably wince the next time i ding it, i say next the electric iron saw a bit of use after chopping out the pins.

Nice job; I do like the positioning of the oval pattern on the front of the box. It was worth saving that lump just for this job - Rob

Thanks Woodbloke66

The board for the sides started out quite wide, i cant remember exactly but i think it was a bit under 12'', a rip or two to get the orientation of the cathedral where i wanted it has finished the chest at about 10'' high.
I was so pleased after the initial bit of planing too see how nice that board was, luckily for me the friend who let me have the wood was after very straight grain for door stiles etc so i got his reject timber!!!

The tyreman; thank you very much sir

Back