Let's play, whatinthehellisthis?!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last two clues on mystery item Number 5.

I now know what it is, on account of it being written on the side (under the rust that is).

37049860402_2929114c61_z.jpg

37222226785_3ffc8b6ae3_z.jpg

Attachments

• 37049860402_2929114c61_z.jpg
    37049860402_2929114c61_z.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 516
  • 37222226785_3ffc8b6ae3_z.jpg
    37222226785_3ffc8b6ae3_z.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 516
phil.p":3jc3c8sm said:
We did mad things. I went past a place the other day and said to wife that there used to be an old coaching house on the site, and that my friend and I had taken the remains of the roof off, including all the timbers - 16 year olds in T shirts, trainers and shorts, with no harnesses, ropes, scaffold or even gloves. :shock: :lol:
Me too similarly
I recall sitting astride a tin roof on a dutch barn and pulling nails out of the ridge piece - as the last ones went the two sheets I was astride nipped together and caught my jeans in the crotch. Could have been very nasty. :shock: I demolished the whole thing single handed with just a ladder a pinch bar and a claw hammer.

Then there was the crane driver trick - he'd offer you a quick way down off a roof but leave you hanging on half way down in mid air whilst everybody on the site fell about laughing.

#1 Is a RawlPlug No14. Now the 'game' is up, please feel free to let me/others know whatever you know about this. I was clueless really, googled the name so know what it is, but would be interested to hear more from those that used or still use them!

Obj_01_RawlPlug_14.jpg

#2 Is a 'Mitor' Plough Plane No.95. I didn't even know this was in the haul of stuff I bought, it was at the bottom of the box and came as a lovely surprise. Someone said they don't think they fetch much despite their rarity, so I'm delighted to have a new 'user' plane. That's what they're bloody for right! I could really use a manual or something if such a thing exists. ANYTHING you know about this, beyond, and including what is immediately googleable, would be very much appreciated. It looks awesome and I can't wait to test it.

Obj_02_Mitor95.jpg

#3 Is a Stanley 101 Miniature Block Plane Clone

I liked it so much I accidentally bought 4 more (clones) in an eBay auction the next day! Oops.

Obj_03_Stanley101Clone.jpg

#4 was new to me (I'm a noob) but is a Stanley 49 bit Guage. Basically, as I understand it, an auger bit depth stop. It needs some TLC for rust, but I hope to restore it and use it.

Obj_04_Stanley49BitGuage.jpg

#5 Eventually, I realised that this is marked on the side. Using a combination of [1] jewellers loupe and a big photo, and the 'unsharp mask' function in photoshop, I realised it said "JUNIOR COTTER PIN EXTRACTOR". So no, it doesn't remove shrew's testicles or teeth, but it was interesting trying to figure it out. Phil said "Should have gone to specsavers" - it wasn't to me, but it may as well have been. So, is the company "JUNIOR" or is there such a thing as a "JUNIOR COTTER PIN"?!

Obj_05_JuniorCotterPinExtractor.jpg

Well, I quite enjoyed that. Keep the info coming, if you're willing. If anyone else enjoyed it, I've got a few more things that are interesting for the half-quiz, half-info, half-interest format. Or put one up yourselves. There's a guy on youtube called TubalCain (or something) who does something similar for engineering type items, and I always find them fun whether I know what they are or not.

Thx for your patience, info and humour everyone.

Attachments

• Obj_01_RawlPlug_14.jpg
    Obj_01_RawlPlug_14.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 615
  • Obj_02_Mitor95.jpg
    Obj_02_Mitor95.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 615
  • Obj_03_Stanley101Clone.jpg
    Obj_03_Stanley101Clone.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 615
  • Obj_04_Stanley49BitGuage.jpg
    Obj_04_Stanley49BitGuage.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 615
  • Obj_05_JuniorCotterPinExtractor.jpg
    Obj_05_JuniorCotterPinExtractor.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 615
It's hard to resist these lovely little things, and frankly why would you?

This is how I could recognise most of them quite easily:

3outof5.jpg

If your depth stop is troubled with rust, this might help - though yours is much cleaner than mine was - rust-removal-with-a-glass-fibre-brush-t107543.html

And if you don't like hammering the Rawlplug tool into granite walls, you could upgrade to one of these:

IMG_20170606_141014562_zpsnpvzvaip.jpg

- see belgian-mechanical-hammer-t105907.html?hilit=%20rawl for more. John Rawlings was a prolific inventor whose products must have sold in millions worldwide.

AndyT":lido8mxe said:
It's hard to resist these lovely little things, and frankly why would you?

This is how I could recognise most of them quite easily:

3outof5.jpg

If your depth stop is troubled with rust, this might help - though yours is much cleaner than mine was - rust-removal-with-a-glass-fibre-brush-t107543.html

And if you don't like hammering the Rawlplug tool into granite walls, you could upgrade to one of these:

IMG_20170606_141014562_zpsnpvzvaip.jpg

- see belgian-mechanical-hammer-t105907.html?hilit=%20rawl for more. John Rawlings was a prolific inventor whose products must have sold in millions worldwide.

Hah! I see a RawlPlug 14 on ebay at the moment described as "Eco Friendly"!

What do you do? Just hammer the daylights out of it into the wall? Are they effective?!

I was considering the glass fibre pen. About £7.50 on amazon. Are they worth it?

The hand Rawltool (#1) is conceptually simple. For making holes in plaster, brick, even concrete, in lieu of a power drill and masonry bit.

1. Place bit where the hole should go, hit it with a hammer.

[User notes: it jumps around like hell on anything hard, so your hole will only end up approximately where you want it and it will have a crater at the entry point]

2. Twist and pull to remove, taking any debris in the hole with it.

[User notes: Oh yeah? On plaster you've probably gone full depth with one swipe, so you now need to dig out the handle as well, fill, and start over. On concrete you won't be strong enough to twist, so you bang the thing sided to side with your hammer until it falls out, usually on your foot]

3. Repeat until you reach the desired depth.

[User notes: Or until you've hit your hand enough times to give up. Or, in concrete, until you hit a pebble which the tool won't touch. Or until despair deprives you of the will to carry on]

On a nice soft brick, or decently hard plaster, this works quite well. Otherwise ...

With the plain, cheap Rawlpug tool, you hold it against the wall and hit it with a hammer. Then you twist it, and hit it again. Twist, hit. Twist, hit. Get tired and bored, wallop it a bit more. Find it's stuck. Hit it again. Snap off the hardened steel, deep in the hole, in the only possible position for the immovable thing you were hoping to fix. Tell your Dad you've got to go out and can't help him any more that day... at least, that's how I remember it. :wink:

A hammer drill and some electricity are MUCH BETTER!

The glassfibre brushes are good for localised spots of rust on fiddly things.

That was fun! I knew about the Rawlplug as I'm a fan of early DIY books and these are mentioned in some of those. And naturally I've come across a few of various sizes in the flesh over the years at car boots. Interestingly I saw the largest one I've ever seen just a couple of weeks ago. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the largest size they made as the thing was huge, well over a foot long and the business end was easily 1/2" diameter.

2 and 3 were obvious as to type of whatsit, just didn't know the brands. This is the first time I think I've heard of 'Mitor'.

Had no clue about the last two.

ED65":35yvkfy5 said:
2 and 3 were obvious as to type of whatsit, just didn't know the brands. This is the first time I think I've heard of 'Mitor'.

I'm going to clean it up a bit and post more pics of it some time.

DigitalM":35humi3w said:
I was considering the glass fibre pen. About £7.50 on amazon. Are they worth it?
At that price I'd have to say no! But at £1.40 plus postage (CousinsUK.com) I'd say why not.

I've had one of these for years that I've used in various ways. I first bought it as an eraser for Indian ink, which I long believed was their sole function as I never saw them for sale anywhere other than amongst the drawing supplies, often right beside conventional erasers. Then I tried it for abrading surfaces in model making and eventually for localised smoothing jobs in sculpture work (on materials like Milliput for those familiar with that sort of thing).

If you want to lay in what is likely to be a lifetime supply of refills for anyone, ten pack for £3.50.

I see that the plough plane is English made.
So what is with the spelling then?
I always thought mitre = correct
miter= American, so just about allowable.
But mitor?

BRYAN":11prm0vj said:
I see that the plough plane is English made.
So what is with the spelling then?
I always thought mitre = correct
miter= American, so just about allowable.
But mitor?

It's nothing to do with mitres. It's a brand name, derived from the people behind the company, Miles and Mantor.

ED65":gpgilfrl said:
DigitalM":gpgilfrl said:
At that price I'd have to say no! But at £1.40 plus postage (CousinsUK.com) I'd say why not.

I've had one of these for years that I've used in various ways. I first bought it as an eraser for Indian ink, which I long believed was their sole function as I never saw them for sale anywhere other than amongst the drawing supplies, often right beside conventional erasers. Then I tried it for abrading surfaces in model making and eventually for localised smoothing jobs in sculpture work (on materials like Milliput for those familiar with that sort of thing).

If you want to lay in what is likely to be a lifetime supply of refills for anyone, ten pack for £3.50.

TYVM! Lifetime supply it is then!

Back