Let's play, whatinthehellisthis?!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bob Graham":3o4ef6on said:
#1 look like woodturning gouges that may fit into the handles. Granite drills tend to have facetted sides don't they.

Now, I was perplexed but this for about 20 minutes when I opened the box. I'd actually come to the conclusion that they may have fitted into a arbor press (is that how you spell it) or similar, for some metalworking procedure. I was rather surprised, and still somewhat perpexed, when I saw the makers name, as it totally gives away the purpose, but the mind begins to boggle all over again. More info Friday afternoon.

IS #1 the infamous Rawlplug drilling (hit with hammer and turn) bit from when they first came out

That's what we used them for in my Dads tool box.....along with a brown fibrous rawlplug material.

It's also for opening paint cans (as all tools must have a second application :D ).

Regards,
Dave

AndyT":2xggkg9m said:
Stanley planes are pretty common, Mitor planes much less so.
Made in Harpenden, and you can't say that about many tools.

Also, afaik it's the only design of plough to feature a choice of cutter position, with a forward setting suitable for stopped grooves.
Harpenden is only about 10 mins from my house! I will have to see if I can track one down to have for posterity.

Dovetaildave":2pf7hfor said:
...along with a brown fibrous rawlplug material.

Invented in 1910, but I bet there are still plenty of those holding stuff on walls.

Nobody has said that they know for sure what no 5 is. If you don't know either, could you post some more close-up photos, especially of the business end, showing the jaws open and shut, so we can collectively deduce something.

I'm sure more pictures would help; I'm thinking with the mention of possibly to do with cars things like a hose clip tool. Looks like it was intended to get into awkward spaces. The trouble is if it is to do with cars, there are a lot of special tools for awkward jobs on a particular make of car.

5 is a tool to remove screws from deep pocket holes when you realise its not long enough.

Or, slightly more likely, to lift broad head tacks without damaging the surrounding wood.

NazNomad":127fnlng said:
Dovetaildave":127fnlng said:

Invented in 1910, but I bet there are still plenty of those holding stuff on walls.

I can remember using them as primitive pipe stems to smoke dog-end tobacco. Can't remember what I used for the bowls.
I hate to imagine what nasty stuff I inhaled along with the routine smoking nastiness. Really happy to have been tobacco-free for 14 years now!

Mind you, I also cut of a piece of lead pipe and chewed it up, then pretented a filling had come out. My dad's workshop had a lot of hazards, and I sometimes wonder how I'm still alive.

John Brown":syicth41 said:
NazNomad":syicth41 said:
Dovetaildave":syicth41 said:

I can remember using them as primitive pipe stems to smoke dog-end tobacco. Can't remember what I used for the bowls.
I hate to imagine what nasty stuff I inhaled along with the routine smoking nastiness. Really happy to have been tobacco-free for 14 years now!

Mind you, I also cut of a piece of lead pipe and chewed it up, then pretented a filling had come out. My dad's workshop had a lot of hazards, and I sometimes wonder how I'm still alive.

Dear God! Terrifying tale of the day!! Well done on quitting. Managed around that length of time myself now.

5 - dentist tool?
1 - rawl-plug hole drills. Fit in the handle and remove with wedge in the hole. Didn't know they came in different sizes. When ar worra lad it was rawl plug (about 1/4"?) or star drill (about 5/8"?).

We did mad things. I went past a place the other day and said to wife that there used to be an old coaching house on the site, and that my friend and I had taken the remains of the roof off, including all the timbers - 16 year olds in T shirts, trainers and shorts, with no harnesses, ropes, scaffold or even gloves. :shock: :lol:

What about permission phil, did you have that at least :)

Back