Lessons learned

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlibalv

Established Member
Reaction score
I started woodwork about 15-16 years ago and the first router I bought taught me and important lesson, and that was always buy the best. This router needed finessing every time I used it, some was inexperience but despite it being a reputable (magazine rated) make it just never worked well. The depth stop never held properly, the fence was rubbish, the method for holding the fence bars was either too loose or jamed on, chip extraction (to vacuum) blocked with minimum provocation. I never felt confident using it even with everthing 'tied down' I was always uncertain using it. After a few months I tried a Festool (Festo at that time) router at a show and it just worked. That was early on in my woodworking life, now I buy the best I can afford for all my tools, if I cannot afford it right now I wait, a lesson, I suppose, we all have to learn. I thank that router for being so bad, I learned that lesson befor spending much money on tools.

Any one have similar or others?

I agree with what you say, but the problem tools for me are those that I do not need often enough to justify a decent one, but can probably justify a silverline special. For that money you cant often buy a secondhand decent one.

I don't use power tools that much. Machines mostly. Some traditional tools too.
I've been doing this for a while now and I can get good results with almost any tool (if the blade is sharp).
But I can understand that, for a beginner, low end or even mid range tool quality can be a high obstacle to overcome.
That's why it is important to take a 101 type course before you commit a lot of your earnings to tool purchases.
You'll learn where not to be stingy and where a tool of moderate price/quality will do just fine.

I still prefer to do as much hand-tool work as possible; although I used to say I preferred real mortice and tenons; until I bought a Domino! It's age you see! My muscularity has vanished, and the shakes are setting in! But thankfully, as long as I can hold a router, a circular saw or something in green and black, I can cut true!

I've always had a router or two, and my preference was for Elu. I never had one that wasn't easy to use, or that didn't cut accurately. You can't buy them now, but the deWalt is an Elu in Yellow and Black, more or less. (More of the less, maybe!) They are quite good though, and certainly they fit everything on the Leigh Jig.

However, when my big Elu finally gave up the ghost, I decided to try a Festool 1400. To be frank, I don't know why I didn't buy a Festool router, when Elu ceased trading. It was probably the initial cost. I thought I knew; YGWYPF :mrgreen: I can't say fairer than that.

John :)

Back