Left Field

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’d take some convincing there was merit in a view that prioritising the efficiency of the septic tanks used by a relatively small number of people over the prevention of floods for the many living downstream.

Life’s not perfect - get a better septic tank and enjoy the improved quality of the countryside as it’s returned to how it was.
Couple of things here.

We're out in the countryside. Septic tanks have moved in a long way from the old sunken brick or concrete boxes in a field with some holes knocked in the side. Modern 2 or preferably 3 stage plants produce pretty clean water into the soakaways. A 70 year old system is likely to need it's soakaways (if it has them) redone, plus as has been mentioned before, the Environment Agency is very strict about what goes into runoff and soakaways now. There's absolutely nothing to be proud of with an ancient septic tank - what they put into the ground and waterways is not helpful.

The second issue is that "countryside as it’s returned to how it was" is a myth - the pastural idyl that is oft referred to was manufactured by agricultural practice through the millennia - obviously geology plays a huge part, however the surface features, i.e. trees, fields, hedges, heather moors etc. were largely a product of either intentionally or unintentionally managed landscapes - livestock grazing, cereal production/cultivation, forestry etc.

e.g. we have Bedgebury Forest near here: this has been managed by humans since about 850 AD and quite possibly before that too. You would have to go back to the iron age or before to find unmanaged landscapes.

Couple of things here.

We're out in the countryside. Septic tanks have moved in a long way from the old sunken brick or concrete boxes in a field with some holes knocked in the side. Modern 2 or preferably 3 stage plants produce pretty clean water into the soakaways. A 70 year old system is likely to need it's soakaways (if it has them) redone, plus as has been mentioned before, the Environment Agency is very strict about what goes into runoff and soakaways now. There's absolutely nothing to be proud of with an ancient septic tank - what they put into the ground and waterways is not helpful.

The second issue is that "countryside as it’s returned to how it was" is a myth - the pastural idyl that is oft referred to was manufactured by agricultural practice through the millennia - obviously geology plays a huge part, however the surface features, i.e. trees, fields, hedges, heather moors etc. were largely a product of either intentionally or unintentionally managed landscapes - livestock grazing, cereal production/cultivation, forestry etc.

e.g. we have Bedgebury Forest near here: this has been managed by humans since about 850 AD and quite possibly before that too. You would have to go back to the iron age or before to find unmanaged landscapes.
got the latest klargester. please realise that the soak away or septic tank reed bed or any other contraption wont work if the water table is to high.if councils or green monkeys wish to destroy my ability to recycle my own waste then i should be provided with an alternative solution at thier expence. ie. mains drainage perhaps seem easiest for me

got the latest klargester. please realise that the soak away or septic tank reed bed or any other contraption wont work if the water table is to high.if councils or green monkeys wish to destroy my ability to recycle my own waste then i should be provided with an alternative solution at thier expence. ie. mains drainage perhaps seem easiest for me
Has it all stopped working then since the beavers arrived?

You need PP for vehicular access and the dropped kerb.
Planning permission for a vehicular access is only required onto a classified road (Trunk, A, B or C class). The majority of residential streets and housing developments will therefore not require PP.
A permit will be required for alterations to the footpath (dropped kerb) to ensure that the work is carried out to the correct standard, but cannot be withheld or used as a tool to frustrate the principle of the permitted development rights already in place.

New or replacement hard surfaces within the curtilage of a dwelling do not need planning permission. The only restriction/condition is that where the hard standing is at the front of the house the non-permeable area must be a maximum of 5sqm, unless the runoff is directed to a porous area within the curtilage.

Last edited:
Back