Veritas Plane Review - Bevel-Up Smoother

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My smoother and scrub arrived today (Friday), just in time for a weekend play :D .
Lucky devil; I consistantly have things turn up just in time to miss the weekend. ](*,) Looking forward to hearing your take on them; remember to benz zee kneez when you pick 'em up!. :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Alf,

as ever, a cracking review!

I've been very tempted by the LV bevels up, but that handle. What's a chap to do?

Thanks for taking so much trouble for everyone's benefit. Again.

Jeremy

J.A.S":20vs7r2r said:
...I've been very tempted by the LV bevels up, but that handle. What's a chap to do?
...Jeremy
Jeremy, the handle isn't that bad.

As Alf, I think it could be improved, but it doesn't hurt my hand like it can Alf's.

For me, it is more the angle of the tote. It seems to favor a taller bench than I have. At least the ratio of my height to the bench top surface.

On the plus side, it does encourage one to push the plane forward more than press down, which if a plane is sufficiently sharp is a good thing.

And at least for the longer planes, when shooting a board it is better (for me) as the board is most often higher than the bench surface by a few to several inches.

J.A.S":1dqvpd7u said:
I've been very tempted by the LV bevels up, but that handle. What's a chap to do?
Been meaning to get back to this all day...

What a chap has to remember first is that he is a chap, and not (in the memorable opinion of one member of a certain Australian forum) just a chick. :roll: :lol: Chances are you'd find the grip size no trouble at all, and the angle is something you can work around if that's an issue. My trouble is two-fold and unlikely to affect the majority. 1. The front-to-back grip necessary to accommodate the space for the two bolts is greater than I can comfortably hold in my girly mitts. It puts pressure on the wrong areas of my fingers and seems to cramp them up somehow. 2. I sometimes suffer from some inflammation around my right thumb, and the upright design of the tote coupled with the traditional height of my bench puts all the pressure on the web area of my hand, where all the swelling manifests itself. In short; ouch. :( So I find something narrower, that also disperses some of the pressure to the heel of my hand, preferable. Just how the cookie crumbles.

But look at it this way. Despite the pain I've still picked up the BUPP in preference to any other plane 95% of the time since I've had it. So it must be bloomin' good, right? Hmm, if it was too comfy I might never let go of it at all... :-k :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Ah, well, that's just the problem: I'm a chap with a chick's mitts, in the non-Mary Shelley sense.

I also know that early Stanley totes fit my hand like a glove, and will soon lower my bench to a better height for planing with traditionally- shaped planes.
In addition, I'll admit to aesthetic snobbery: the LV tote looks so bloomin' ugly, and something deep down inside me suggests that if it lacks curves, all will not be well :wink: .

I'll continue to ponder the Valley side of the Force.

Jeremy

No look here, if I can bludgeon my aesthetic soul into silence you can jolly well make the effort too :p :lol:

Cheers, Alf

O.K., Alf, I'll make an effort :D . Maybe a few drinks might reveal the truth: in vino veritas :roll:.

Jeremy

Lovely review once again Alf. If I didn't already own a smoother, you'd have talked me into it.

A smoother? A smoother?! One? Single? Uno? A loner. ONE SMOOTHER?!!!! I'm sorry, I don't understand. :-k :-s :wink:

Alf":1bz1ddd5 said:
A smoother? A smoother?! One? Single? Uno? A loner. ONE SMOOTHER?!!!! I'm sorry, I don't understand. :-k :-s :wink:

Don't worry Alf, occasionally Tony's knowledgeable contributions persuade us all that he understands and appreciates hand tools. Plainly he is still in the starting gate :lol:

I hang my head in shame. Don't know what I was thinking. One (of any type of) plane indeed :oops: :oops:

LOL :lol:
You Mods crack me up! :roll:
Seriously though Tony-just one smoother?? I have a few, uh, spares you could borrow............ :whistle: That will teach you to buy the right tool first! :lol:
Cheers
Philly :D

Tony":3rgy7nvk said:
I hang my head in shame. Don't know what I was thinking. One (of any type of) plane indeed :oops: :oops:
Well as long as you see the error of your ways... :roll:

A cautionary tale concerning having more than one of anything. This afternoon I needed a groove 5/8" wide. I took a 5/8" wide piece of stock and glued a couple of sides on it 'cos it was quicker than trying to find a sharp 5/8" cutter and the correct plough/combi plane to put it in. :oops: :oops: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Hi All
I recently took possession of a BUS and thought you may like to hear my thoughts on this little gem.
It is a lovely little plane to use, just heavy enough ,and comfortable to hold (at least to my girly hands....). The construction is excellent, the blade impressed me with its "almost-ready-to-use" condition. Flattening took next to no time, the back being FLAT from the box. I wondered why I wasn't seeing much change when trying to flatten it on my stones...... :roll:
In use it has a curious but excellent trait-i can only describe it as "sit-down-ability"! It just sits on the work and requires minimal downward pressure to produce excellent results. (This trait is also shared with it big brother, the LA Jack) As a smoother this really is the bee's-knee's! Here is a picture of the first curly shaving taken from some funny grained english oak. And yes, that is half a thou shavings-out of the box with a sharpened iron! :shock:
I like this plane-if you are after a smoother you must try it out! Especially at the rediculous price they are selling it-£145!!!! Unbelievable....
bus%20shaving.jpg

Cheers
Philly :D
P.s.Chris-you really want this-not the Holtey! :lol:

Philly":2mtsoqib said:
(snip)

... And yes, that is half a thou shavings-out of the box with a sharpened iron! :shock:
I like this plane-if you are after a smoother you must try it out! Especially at the rediculous price they are selling it-£145!!!! Unbelievable....

(snip)

Hi Philly - Glad you like it....

Will discuss your comments with our marketing people with a view to raising the price....thanks for the heads-up.... :lol: :lol:

Cheers -

Rob

(Just kidding :lol: )

Philly":18uz0e0g said:
I like this plane-if you are after a smoother you must try it out! Especially at the rediculous price they are selling it-£145!!!!
:-$ I said that about the spokeshaves and the price went up, you foolish Gloatmiester. #-o

Cheers, Alf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back