Ledge... and brace?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fat ferret

Established Member
Reaction score
Making some internal doors tomorrow. Which should I go for?

4 Ledges no braces, this would look nicer.

Or 3 ledges 2 braces, stronger.

Can do either, which and why?

3 ledges and two braces will be stronger but if you screw the planks to the ledges instead of "cleating" the nails, then you may well be OK.
I hope you have stored and settled the door materials in the house for a few weeks and help stop warping and shrinkage?
If not and the doors must go up over the weekend, then go for ledge, braces and screws, at least you can probably restore the doors later.
Regards Rodders

Ive always made oak doors with 3 ledges no braces. Screwed and plugged.

Ledges positioned to suit hinges.

Assume that framed and ledged is not an option? (that would be my preference).

If not framed, then you need the bracing, I would think.

Pictures awaited...

Cheers

It is perfectly possible to make a solid door without braces. The traditional Scandinavian mothod goes back to medieval times at least.

First you drill peg holes in the edges of the boards. Then you make the tongues and grooves. Then you assemble the door and cut tapered dovetailed dadoes across the full width of the door. Then you fit the edges which are tapered and have a sliding dovetail to fit the dovetailed dado. Drive the dedges in hard with a mallet and you have a door that doesn't contain a single screw nor nail and won't sag within the lifetime of your greatgrandkids.

I made a door like this last winter.

heimlaga":802u4m5q said:
It is perfectly possible to make a solid door without braces. The traditional Scandinavian mothod goes back to medieval times at least.

First you drill peg holes in the edges of the boards. Then you make the tongues and grooves. Then you assemble the door and cut tapered dovetailed dadoes across the full width of the door. Then you fit the edges which are tapered and have a sliding dovetail to fit the dovetailed dado. Drive the dedges in hard with a mallet and you have a door that doesn't contain a single screw nor nail and won't sag within the lifetime of your greatgrandkids.

That's very interesting.
Have you got any photos we could see of the wip or the finished door please?

heimlaga":2efsclju said:

that sounds excellent I may well have a go at that myself, how many dowels?

heimlaga":3k441vll said:

French window shutters were done this way but without the dowels (what are they for?) and no tongue or groove. The tapered and dovetailed-housed rail makes the structure stable and also thinner, which is useful with window shutters.
I first saw them in Dinan on houses up the hill. I've got photos somewhere I'll see if I can find them.

Back