Oak ledged doors, where to put strap hinges

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pgrbff

Established Member
Reaction score
Traditionally I assume the strap hinges would have been put where the ledges are, not below or above the ledges, which I often see in images on the net.
Does it matter which side of the door the hinges go?

The problem of fixing to ledges is the swing of the door, if fixing directly to the ledge. Most commonly rather more decorative hinges are fixed to the face side in alignment to those ledges. In my house I have replaced all of the original pine ledged and braced doors (1920 house). The hinges are placed under the ledges! These doors though pine, are incredibly heavy a struggle for a one man lift! Though it seems like sacrilige to replace them, they were stained originally and then decades of paint layers. To remove hinges I would have to remove ledges first, which are clench nailed. The best set up is a framed ledged and braced door using butt hinges.

This is how they should be done:
FL&B door English Herratige.JPG

Phill05,
Agree if Framed, ledged and braced as per your illustration, but there are some doors (my original house doors) that don't have a frame. Also if F/L/B door the modern way would be butt hinges.

The problem of fixing to ledges is the swing of the door, if fixing directly to the ledge. Most commonly rather more decorative hinges are fixed to the face side in alignment to those ledges. In my house I have replaced all of the original pine ledged and braced doors (1920 house). The hinges are placed under the ledges! These doors though pine, are incredibly heavy a struggle for a one man lift! Though it seems like sacrilige to replace them, they were stained originally and then decades of paint layers. To remove hinges I would have to remove ledges first, which are clench nailed. The best set up is a framed ledged and braced door using butt hinges.
Can't use butt hinges as there is no frame. And only have ledges.

Phill05,
Agree if Framed, ledged and braced as per your illustration, but there are some doors (my original house doors) that don't have a frame. Also if F/L/B door the modern way would be butt hinges.

If not framed then just the same the strap hinges fit on the ledges as the ledges are made to the edge of the door but with an end chamfer.
And yes or coarse fitting hinges does depend if opening in or out, but always fit them so the braces sit from the hinge as in the image.

Back