leaning photos

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaymar

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I know we have several photographers on the site so perhaps someone can help.
I have a tendency when taking photographs not to get the camera straight, result photos leaning left or right. Is there a reasonable camera with a level in the viewfinder or do I have to live with the problem. I do try not to lean but have no success.
Hope some kind person can help
Jaymar

Not aware of a camera with a 'level' exactly, but 'back in the day' the traditional way for this was to use a focussing screen that had a grid etched into the surface. Modern digital cameras with electronic viewfinders usually have this facility as an overlay somewhere in one of the menus - I'm pretty sure every digital camera I've owned has had this option.

HTH Pete

I think it's down to you to stop leaning. It probably happens when you press the button - you momentarily stop concentrating on the frame. Get somebody to watch you taking a snap - they might spot it.
My father in law used to do the same but vertically - lots of family snaps all with their heads trimmed, sometimes completely missing! Or maybe he just thought we were an ugly lot.

There are many digital cameras with a built in digital level - but it means checking all the specifications to find them.

The Sony Cybershot DSC-HX20V is one and here's a snippet from the review ...

"The HX20V has a number of panorama modes, including Intelligent Sweep (standard, wide and high-resolution), 3D Sweep and Sweep Multi Angle. The Digital Level Gauge will help you keep your images straight and GPS geotags your images and video clips as well as log your journey and act as a compass. Other modes include Background Defocus, High-speed Continuous shooting at up to 10 fps, Face Detection, Smile Shutter, Backlight Correction HDR and Soft Skin. Images can be edited via the in-camera retouching menu."

Alternately there are bubble levels to plug in the cameras flash/hot-shoe.

Are you actually leaning or just not holding the camera level? Could you not line the side of the viewfinder up with a vertical in your shot ...ditto for the horizontal?

Thanks all. I found the Grid Lines setting so I hope I can improve my snaps. You will have gathered I am no photographer.
Jaymar

I have a similar problem, I have difficulty holding camera steady, to overcome this I use a monopod, compact and easy to use it collapses down to about 250mm.
But to be honest I usually just sort pics with picasa, quick and easy

If you need a levelling device it would be cheaper to buy a very small level, rather than a new camera, and tape or hold it to the bottom of the camera when taking pictures. I can foresee there being a problem though, trying to frame your photo and trying to view your level at the same time will be awkward, as RogerS says, the best way is to line the edge of your picture up with something vertical, failing that, the bottom with something horizontal.

Andy

You'll find a grid very handy.

If it'll let you choose, split the picture into nine (equal thirds vertically and horizontally). It's a bit of a cheat, but when you compose a picture, aim for the most important part of the picture to end up on a corner of the middle box.

It's called "the rule of thirds", because, for some odd reason, the brain finds this sort of composition aesthetically pleasing. The lines across will also help you get your horizons straight.

Incidentally, if you use a very wide angle of view (i.e. if you zoom out completely), all horizontals apart from those going through the centre of the frame will appear curved. That's life, unfortunately!

Have fun.

E.

Something like this might help, but only really any use when using an SLR with a shoe mount on a tripod.

Much better to do as has been suggested and use the grid lines. You shouldn't have to go into the menus to find it, most compact digital cameras will toggle it on and off using the 'display' button somewhere on the back.

It is also a good idea to use a horizontal or vertical line to aid you, as others have said, but this is not always possible of course, depending on the subject matter.

Best thing to do is practice and s l o o o o w down. Thinking about the issue while taking the photo will help a great deal.

Whatever you do - keep snapping

HTH

regards

Brian

brianhabby":ftevbaa5 said:
Best thing to do is practice and s l o o o o w down. Thinking about the issue while taking the photo will help a great deal.

Agree. It's about technique not technology.
No need to buy anything (like so many woodworkers do when things go wrong! :lol: )

Many digital cameras these days are much smaller than they used to be and just a slight angle creates a massive shift angle to a photograph in my opinion.
My shots are much better if I get the biggy out instead of my little Fuji.

(at times I swear the chip cannot be located properly in that small one) :) :wink:

Harbo":3darao52 said:
If they do finish up wonky there's lots of software that will correct them.

Rod

I don't know how many photo-editing software packages will do this, but I use Windows Live Photo Gallery ( a free download if you don't have it) which has a photo straightening tool. If a pic is badly off level (or off vertical) the correction won't make it perfect ~ but it does help, and for pics that just need a little tweaking it's usually impossible to see that they weren't straight to start with.

jaymar":2w74u4d3 said:
Hi all,
I know we have several photographers on the site so perhaps someone can help.
I have a tendency when taking photographs not to get the camera straight, result photos leaning left or right. Is there a reasonable camera with a level in the viewfinder or do I have to live with the problem. I do try not to lean but have no success.
Hope some kind person can help
Jaymar

What kind of viewfinder does your camera have?

How much is the lean (1 degree? 5, 10?)

BugBear

Free photo editing software, I recommend 'Picasa' would enable you to easily straighten any exiting photos.

On my DSLR I have a number of little rectangles in the view finder showing where the focus spots are, I use these to line up shots but I believe the plate with the marks on is not fitted straight as I can never get a straight horizon doing this :)

Back