Lathe Upgrade

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluefoxy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I want to upgrade my current lathe, a Jet 1220, to a lathe with variable speed and the ability to swivel the head. My initial thoughts veered towards the Record CL4 which is currently on special offer. However I have looked at a number of others from Axminster, Scheppack, Charnwood etc that use a mechanical variable speed system called variomatic (remember the Daf car of the 60's). These tend to be a lot cheaper than electronic control but I have no experience of them. Are they really as noisy as Alan Holtham says on the Record website and do they chew up belts daily? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ray

Ray, I have an Axminster AWVSL1000.... with the variable speed. Had it for about 18months or so with no problems at all..... save the very odd occasion when i clean and lube the speed mechanism (part of the maintenance program).

Is it noisy..? couldn't really say as i'v had nothing else to compare it to, but i dont think so.

And strangely i'm thinking of chopping it in for a Jet 1220...!! or the other one they do with the variable speed... 1440..???

As i'm only really interested in making 'small objects of desire' (see my posting from 10 mins ago) :lol: the big Ax is a bit of a waste (dont know if thats the correct term..??)

Nick

Hi Ray,

I've got the Jet 1442 with a bed extension:

P3190027.JPG

I've had it for over 5 years in a professional capacity and, apart from needing regular internal cleaning and a bit of lude every so often, has never yet missed a beat. This, as you can see, has mechanical variable speed, ranging from 360 - 2000 rpm, a very nice range, and it works nice and smooth and (so far) I'm on my first belt. Nice amount of Cast Iron too!

No complaints from me. When I upgrade it will be purely because I need more capacity (and fancy electric variable speed rather than NEED :wink: ) rather than because I don't like my current machine.

HTH

Richard

Mechanical variable speed mechanisms can be noisy, and they do get through belts faster than the fixed pulley style of lathe.

Having said that, replacement belts are usually pretty cheap (about £3 each if bought from somewhere like Bearing Man) and easily changed. I have seen several examples of this type of lathe that are actually quite quiet in use.

Their main advantage is access to quick and easy changing of the lathe speed at very reasonable cost. However, they do not really offer true variable speed like electronic control systems do - you get a fixed number of speeds you can easily switch between, rather than continuously variable speed.

The main disadvantage I see with this type of lathe is that it is much harder to upgrade it to electronic variable speed at a later date (which can be done fairly easily to a lathe with fixed pulleys).

tekno.mage

Richard Findley":2mnoyz04 said:
... and a bit of lude every so often

How the hell do you give a lathe that? Show it hard core pictures of heavy engineering?

Miles

Hi Ray,
I have had the CL4 with variable speed for about ten years now and not had any trouble so far.I really rate this lathe and reccomment it wholeheartedly.BTW,it is in use daily.
Frank.

Thanks for the advice guys. In many ways I will be sorry to see the Jet go as it is a superb bit of kit but the belt change procedure is very frustrating. I hadn't realised that the variomatic transmission does not offer true variable speed so it looks like the Record is in pole position.

Ray

A friend of mine [new to turning] has just bought a AWVSL1000 and it seems to be a nice piece of kit, variable speed works fine, it's not noisy and feels sturdy. It's nicer than my ccsl :evil:

Having said that, knowing his track record, I may end up with it in 18 months. :wink:

tekno.mage":2apvh55x said:
Mechanical variable speed mechanisms can be noisy, and they do get through belts faster than the fixed pulley style of lathe.

Having said that, replacement belts are usually pretty cheap (about £3 each if bought from somewhere like Bearing Man) and easily changed. I have seen several examples of this type of lathe that are actually quite quiet in use.

Their main advantage is access to quick and easy changing of the lathe speed at very reasonable cost. However, they do not really offer true variable speed like electronic control systems do - you get a fixed number of speeds you can easily switch between, rather than continuously variable speed.

The main disadvantage I see with this type of lathe is that it is much harder to upgrade it to electronic variable speed at a later date (which can be done fairly easily to a lathe with fixed pulleys).

tekno.mage

Just what would be needed to upgrade a fixed pulley lathe to electronic variable Mage?

Hi John

What you need is a three phase motor and an inverter. I have converted my old Nova3000 to VS, there is a step by step Here

Sorry for linking to another forum but there is no way I am typing all that out again.

Cheers

Walter

The biggest problem that I have with the kit that you have fitted Walter is it would double and more the price that I paid for my Record C1! BIG time, but the Drives Direct looks a bit closer if they could do a face mounting motor instead of foot mount?

Perhaps a phone call would be a good idea? I tried a call to the U.K. today before realised that you lot have got the day off! I wondered why the forum had been so busy? Been a full working day here, well Mondays are only half open daze, with a 2 hour lunch break of course!

I have been looking at the kit on the Drives Direct site and it looks just what I need. I have spoken to the lady there and they can supply the 1/2 HP motor/ digi convertor that I need and a mate of mine is going back to England and will bring it back here for me.

I have to admit that I really rate my Record CL1 and with a bigger, variable speed, reversible motor it, for me, will be the dogs danglies!! Maybe, one day, I will be able to improve on the bolted down, cross braced 2 X 4 'A' frame base that it is sat on, but for now it's a goodun!

Jonzjob":19y7ff0x said:
....I have to admit that I really rate my Record CL1 and with a bigger, variable speed, reversible motor it, for me, will be the dogs danglies!! ...

Don't forget to add securing Grub Screws to your Chucks and Faceplates for reverse turning, you don't need the excitement of a chuck or faceplate coming unscrewed at speed.

Easy if it has a rear flange like the precision version, I just drilled and tapped a 5mm hole and fitted a socket screw the same as the jaw fixings.

DSCN2103.JPG
DSCN2105.JPG

Latest posts

Back