Lathe accident

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All happens very quickly :shock:

Some time ago I had a close call with a jacobs chuck coming loose in the headstock. It ended up being only held in by centrifugal force and was being waved around out of control. Had it come away it would have become a heavy missile. Could have been very nasty indeed. I will not use a jacobs chuck in the headstock now unless it is secured by tailstock or similar now. I am not sharring this for ridiclue, just as a heads up that may help somebody avoid a nasty accident. I definately should have known better and indeed I did but I still went ahead and tried to save a bit of time...

BM

I wonder how many times that happened before they put in the CCTV to find out what was going on.

I've seen what happens when a chuck key is left in the chuck and the lathe switched on. not good

Lee J":2r6e3yfk said:
I've seen what happens when a chuck key is left in the chuck and the lathe switched on. not good

same here. i done it once or twice now. i double check now.

That's not pleasant.
Thanks for the reminder - easy to forget when we're busy/hurried!
And I guess most of us work alone for hours in our little caves - noone would hear us calling...

Thanks for sharing that, helps to reinforce safety around the lathe, as gregmcateer says most of us work alone so it's got to be top priority.

I have seen that one before Steve, totally horrific. What I failed to understand was some of the pathetic and heartless comments on some of the other forums. With industrial accidents we must remember that not all countries have such rigorous working practices as we do in the UK. Poor training and week management contribute. It is not always just down to the machine operator.

For the hobby turner or one man turning shop it is not always easy to be knowledgable about all the potential risks. We are all learning, some are further down the road than others. We don't have the luxury of dedicated health and safety officers checking our equipment and working practices. That means we need to be even more vigilant. The risks are numerous and not always obvious, especially for a novice.

Even with great care accidents can still happen. Machine components fail, people faint etc. My neighbour has a habit of coming up behind me when I am working and then shouting and making me jump. I often work with the door open so maybe I need to shut the door.

BM

WoodySteve":1lw7px4a said:
!!!!Warning!!!! Not For The Faint Hearted. i found this on another site, i hope its ok to post ?
i thought i would share as the damage a lathe can cause. in this case = Death...
must of been loose clothing that caused it. poor bloke. i feel for his family. :(

http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=41444

OMG :( As you said Not For The Faint Hearted

bogmonster":2jarilkc said:
My neighbour has a habit of coming up behind me when I am working and then shouting and making me jump. I often work with the door open so maybe I need to shut the door.

BM

I got a brother in law that does that to me, creeps up and grabs my leg,
i work with the door open most days i like to have some air in my workshop,
maybe i will make a wire mesh door than lock it, that will stop him,

winemaker":1pd5dluo said:
WoodySteve":1pd5dluo said:
!!!!Warning!!!! Not For The Faint Hearted. i found this on another site, i hope its ok to post ?
i thought i would share as the damage a lathe can cause. in this case = Death...
must of been loose clothing that caused it. poor bloke. i feel for his family. :(

http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=41444

OMG :( As you said Not For The Faint Hearted

Not a pretty site, poor bloke, :(

Ms BM wonders why I don't wear my overalls whilst working on the lathe. They have velcro sleeves but they have slits where the closure is so way too easy to get caught. I use elasticated cuffs. Currently a very cheap thermal jacket from Lidl with a shiny outer that dust and shavings just glide off. Thinking about a turners smock for Christmas.

Years ago I used to work in factory that did mechanised, mass produced book binding. Lots of big machinery there. There were big paper folding machines with banks of rollers that shot sheets of paper through plates and folding knifes at great speed. Said rollers would get caked in ink and become slipery so would need cleaning. Invariably this was done with the machine running and a rag to save time :shock:

Some of the foremen used to wear ties. Yes, you can see where this is going..... I rember one chap getting his tie caught in the rollers. He only just managed to keep his head out the machine. Somebody else sent their fingers through. The rollers are sprung just incase a wad of paper (or fingers) goes through by accident. The fingers stopped at the next plate and the rollers span on the fingers and burnt a lot of flesh away. Why anybody was expected to wear ties in that kind of environment I will never know. Why people were not reprimanded for cleaning the rollers on running machines I also fail to understand.

BM

Back