latest (quick) project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dad

Established Member
Reaction score
This is my latest quickie project (& my first post in here). Built from a couple of recycled doors from when the kitchen was refitted & a piano leg (I do like recycling timber).

Pilasters are simple box sections (from door 1 - 3/4" t&g) whilst the shelf, corbels & feet (sorry, can't think of the proper term) are thick sections from a panelled pantry door (door 2). If doing it again, I'd have made the mantle a bit deeper. All held together with biscuits & pva. Final assembly on site so it all fits snug against the chimney.

It's not to cabinetmakers standards (that's not the look I'm after) & is intentionally 'simple'.

[/url]

dedee":16ldesab said:
Dad,
Methinks it looks very effective. Did you bandsaw the leg in half?

Andy

Yes, used a bandsaw on the leg, though each segment is about 35% of the full thickness - a full half would have been too wide for the pilaster. Wish I'd fitted a new blade though as it started to wander at about half way.

gwaithcoed":12tso4ff said:
I love recycling wood :D

I also use recycled wood, but its usually from old chairs or sideboards etc. I've been given. Do you use recycled timber from yards and if so how do you guard against embedded nails, staples etc?

To date I've used what I've acquired from the rest of the family. Current project is a longcase clock from an old (1950s) wardrobe my Dad was about to skip. I'm getting to the point where I'll have to find a good yard though as stocks are dwindling.

Nice :D - I've made a few myself,but the use of reclaimed timber definitely adds to its appeal.

Andrew

Back