land rover defender

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
Probably the wrong forum, but i know that there are some defender users in the house:

i have just bought a 200tdi 110 csw. Get it saturday, cant wait!

can anybody recommend a workshop manual- in print or downloadable?

what engine oil do you use- i was going to buy a 5 gallon drum and a few filters at a time, which should work out slightly cheaper.

any recommendation on filters- britpart, OEM etc

Mark

Haynes isn't bad. The dark green one covers the 200TDi. There's not much about the body, but it's very straightforward, and some of the Land Rover workshop manuals themselves are on-line if you search for them. I'm sure I got PDFs to do the fuel tank (and they were handy).

You've bought the best engine Land Rover made. Mine doesn't have a filter presently :-( see earlier post. Britpart stuff is hugely variable in quality. The replacement heater matrix I've just bought is rubbish compared to the OEM one, but it's not expensive. I took a wiper motor unit back as it didn't work, and I've had issues with other stuff, too, such as switches.

By the way, mine is insured with NFU Mutual - their deal has been so good I get the Landy and the wife's Alhambra for less than the Direct Line quote for just the Alhambra alone.

Enjoy -- I still get a big grin whenever I take mine out (when the heater matrix hasn't bust, that is)!

E.

marcros":3ejmj7fd said:
Probably the wrong forum, but i know that there are some defender users in the house:

i have just bought a 200tdi 110 csw. Get it saturday, cant wait!

can anybody recommend a workshop manual- in print or downloadable?

what engine oil do you use- i was going to buy a 5 gallon drum and a few filters at a time, which should work out slightly cheaper.

any recommendation on filters- britpart, OEM etc

Mark

Don't buy britpart if at all possible. It's the dogs brown stuff.
OEM are good parts to buy. Bearmach do OEM and other brands for landrovers. Beast of luck with her.
"well you may ware"
Make sure you take that thing offroad. It ain't no fun having one if you don't.

Teckel":b7o31ij9 said:
No fun for everybody else if you do.
All the green lanes around here (Peak District) have been wrecked by twerps in 4WDs. Very unpleasant.
They will be banned eventually but it's taking too long. The off roaders are foolishly turning it into a battle which they will lose. They are a dismal lot and unwelcome everywhere they go.

Jacob":3i5dqjbe said:
Teckel":3i5dqjbe said:
All the green lanes around here (Peak District) have been wrecked by twerps in 4WDs. Very unpleasant.
They will be banned eventually but it's taking too long. The off roaders are foolishly turning it into a battle which they will lose. They are a dismal lot and unwelcome everywhere they go.
=D>
I agree with you Jacob.
I just want to be like you when I grow up!!
:roll:

Teckel":1vbakdex said:
Jacob":1vbakdex said:
Teckel":1vbakdex said:
=D>
I agree with you Jacob.
I just want to be like you when I grow up!!
:roll:
Why don't you just buy a toy one and play with it in your back garden? Then you won't annoy anybody.

Jacob off-roading

article-2207427-152F3BCF000005DC-138_964x565.jpg

They are a funny (peculiar) lot the off-roaders. They have been demonstrating recently in local towns and villages, trying to get public support for free access, as green roads get closed.
What they don't seem to realise is that absolutely everybody dislikes them and no-one wants them (except other off roaders) and a demo just reminds everybody what a PITA they are, They are also threatening to drive around in convoys at 25mph as a protest - as if that would generate sympathy! They are not only annoying everybody they are also threatening them!
Prats. Big kids with big toys.

Firstly, regarding info on Land Rovers, I bought a DVD for my discovery after an ebay search and it's really useful and comprehensive. (OK it's not a Defender, but you may find the right one if you look). It cost about £3 so much cheaper than Haynes, although not so convenient.

Secondly regarding off road users, I have to agree with the comments made about the damage they do and how unwelcome they are. I actually tried off road driving once - an acquaintance persuaded me to go along with them 'to see parts of the country you'll never normally see'. Well they were right about that, but overall I found the whole experience simply BORING - just driving for the sake of it, going nowhere in particular and then home again. I was glad to get home. I really can't see what the attraction is. Furthermore, they have to get the right kit - this one had snorkel, winch, knobbly tyres, stiffened and raised suspension (so the knobbly tyres wouldn't rub), and steel side bars, plus of course a CB radio. The whole kit cost more than they paid for the vehicle. (you can tell what the conversation was about while we were off-roading).

As I said, I really can't see what the attraction is. And they can't see why I don't want to go with them again!! Takes all sorts.

K

In case of doubt - I've nothing against Land Rovers and have had many happy times rattling around the countryside in one. It's the off-road bit which p|sses me (and a lot of other people) off .

For the record, mine gets all sorts of use for DIY activities etc.

For example, I bought eight sheets of 6mm ply a few weeks ago. The chap in the builders' merchant put them straight on the roof rack from the forklift--couldn't have been easier. I can also fill it full of stuff to go to the dump, and I've loaded it with more than 200 bricks on occasion. I've never intentionally off-roaded it, although it gets occasional use with diff-lock engaged in bad weather, and I've run it in low ratio when rescuing other vehicles.

It's also had the legal limit of eleven children in it when ours were smaller and we needed to take a bunch of their friends somewhere. And before anyone gets all snooty about safety, bench seats, etc. they're statistically the safest vehicles on the road to travel in, and I wouldn't dream of driving either fast or stupidly with a cargo as precious as that on board.

It's also perfect for watching wildlife: deer, buzzard, etc. just ignore you. Do the same thing (creep along on the Levels) in an ordinary car--I've tested this-- and they scoot.

E.

I still have a 1968 series 11a 109 LWB hardtop landy for sale loads of new parts, still needs some welding to finish £600 to clear, yes £600 for a tax exempt landrover.

Jacob":34dkbnk2 said:
In case of doubt - I've nothing against Land Rovers and have had many happy times rattling around the countryside in one. It's the off-road bit which p|sses me (and a lot of other people) off .

Right Jacob,

I don't normally raise to your childish and ridiculous view on topics but after reading what has been said I feel that you show a somewhat bigoted attitude towards the ownership of a Land Rover despite your comment as quoted above.

I as you may well have previously read am not only a Land Rover owner but a member of of Norfolk & Suffolk 4x4 Response where we voluntarily use our vehicles at our own expense to assist the emergency services.

Three weeks ago tonight at about 9pm I was sitting comfortably in front of a warm fire when a call came in to our controller requesting urgent assistance to help the Norfolk Lowland Search and Rescue Teams assist the police search for a missing person who had been reported as suicidal and lost in the Thetford Forest.

Having turned out, I personally deployed a search team who later in the evening found the gentleman in a very poorly state, I was tasked with getting paramedics to his position as a matter of urgency as he had significant injuries.

Using my Land Rover I drove the medics to within feet of his position over very difficult terrain and through dense undergrowth, after they had stabilised his bleeding I again transported the casualty as well as police and medics out of the dense undergrowth to the road where he was transferred to a waiting Ambulance for onward recovery to hospital. I achieved in about 15 minutes which would have taken a couple of hours on foot and cost the individual his life.

The letter below was received from the Police this week:-

Letter.jpg

I am LANTRA qualified as a professional off road driver and recovery winch operator and am regularly called upon by the Police

I receive no money/expenses for this service and am pleased to say I am able to do this.

I also train in Derbyshire/Wales on the legal rights of way etc with professional 4x4 teams to enable me to do this. The rights of way are still "roads" albeit they are unmettalled and I would never drive these should damage occur from the movement of my vehicle - This is NOT off roading as you put it as to drive these roads/Rights of way I still need to have an MOT'd/taxed and insured vehicle. With this said I in no way condone the damage done by the minority or by the trail bikes you fail to mention

Off Roading is driving a vehicle on a designated off road sites - Hopefully you may learn the difference

Sorry to have ranted on but Jacob, you need to get off you f***ing perch and stop spouting about something so negatively

I apologise in advance to any members who read this and are offended by my tune but I am fed up to the back teeth of attitude such as this as well as this individuals antagonistic attitude towards other forum members.

Sorry Rant over :( :(

Mark,

Back to your original question - have a look here

http://www.landroverweb.com/landrover/p ... r-manuals/

All the manuals you will ever need can be easily downloaded legally from this site.

Regarding oils

Engine - 10w40 Semi synthetic - Change oil and filter every 6k - 200/300 tdi's thrive on fresh oil

Manual Gearbox - Automatic transmission Fluid (Yes that is correct)

Transfer Box and Axles - EP90

Avoid Britpart parts - very poor quality - get your parts from either Bearmach or Paddock but go for the OEM equivilent option not the basic ones

Hope this helps

Enjoy your Land Rover!!! :)

Oh and forgot to say Adrian Flux are the best insurers -just renewed mine £185 fully comp for the year!

+1 for Adrian Flux insurance.

I don't have a Land Rover, but I have a Hilux 4 x 4. Not in the same league when it comes to off-road duties, but good for carrying wood, especially sheet material.

Dodge":3kq5e21j said:
Jacob":3kq5e21j said:
I apologise in advance to any members who read this and are offended by my tune but I am fed up to the back teeth of attitude such as this as well as this individuals antagonistic attitude towards other forum members.

Sorry Rant over :( :(

First - I applaud wholeheartedly and without reservation the generous help that you and those like you give on occasions such as you describe. This altruism is an example of what is best in people.

At the other end of the spectrum, however are the people who recklessly endanger the lives of people and wildlife, and do significant damage to the countryside. These latter tw*ts I abhor. I have seen adults teaching their ten-year-old children to drive off-road (4 wheel) vehicles, and even five-year-olds to drive motorcycles and trikes on land owned by the Forestry Comission. Once or twice I have had do jump off the path to avoid being hit by a child (well below legal driving age) careering out of control along a forest track.

When I lived in the Forest of Dean it was common to see a collection of children (as many as a dozen at a time) aged from five up to maybe fifteen on an assortment of motorised vehicles chasing each other around the woods, usually without protective gear (gloves, helmets, tough jackets). This pack had no adult with them, but must have had adult help to buy their vehicles and the fuel to power them.

I think when many of us criticise 'off roaders' we have the miscreants in mind, and not the well-behaved (probably because we do not notice the well-behaved). Perhaps we need to clarify the terms we use to distinguish between the two,

Dodge":z4vugxrf said:
...... I would never drive these should damage occur from the movement of my vehicle - This is NOT off roading as you put it ......
It's the damage from a particular form of off roading which we all find so offensive. I've no objection those who don't cause the damage and who aren't just driving around pointlessly.
I'm aware that there are people in 'utility' vehicles doing sensible, necessary and useful things. It's the others who cause the problems
We get 4WD convoys around here - sometimes as many as 10. They have demolished many miles of tracks making them impassable except by 4wd or tracked vehicle in some spots. They particularly favour wet and steep spots - a combination which rapidly turns a pretty lane into a muddy canyon. I've seen them splash through puddles, gather the convoy and turn and splash through again. Big kids, big toys. They need to know that they are not welcome. They are a real problem.

PS I recall one confrontation some years ago. A convoy was held up by a farmer who was giving them a load of abuse and pointing out that they were making his access to his fields impassable. I got talking to one of the despondent drivers - it turned out that this was his first excursion and didn't know it was a battlefront. He suggested (correctly) that the muddy canyon through which they had just passed was unsuitable for any other use except as a dirt track. He hadn't twigged that it was he and his ilk who had reduced it to that condition.
The point is - there may be off roaders who imagine that they themselves aren't creating a problem because the route is already roughed up, not realising that it's earlier off roaders who roughed it up in the first place.

Our village is bounded by ancient Drove Roads which used to be churned up into an impassable morass by 4x4's and Motocross Bikes.
After a campaign we got them reclassified under the Highways Act and had vehicles banned.
The ban works and they have become nice places to walk on.

Rod

Back