Lamp Table lots of big pics

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woody Alan

Established Member
Reaction score
I thought some might like to see this little table I knocked up out of a pallet of oak.
First you need a willing assistant to get it to the workshop
1rawmaterialey7.jpg

Having put all the stock through the planer /thicknesser the top is ready to biscuit
2topbiscuitandotherstocup4.jpg

Clamping up the top with the new Besseys handy to force the overtight biscuits in
3topclampedvm1.jpg

Sizing the top on the sliding table
4sizingtopkh9.jpg

Bevelling the ends by a secret method having tested it first.
5bevellingendsci9.jpg

Marking the mortices one edge only
6markingmorticemt5.jpg

Cutting remembering to move the chisel after first small cut to avoid burn
and "staircase" my way across and then back
7cuttingmorticeuo8.jpg

Knocked up a quick jig to cut the tapers on all the inside leg faces
9jigmadedfp2.jpg

All legs ready
10legsreadydth1.jpg

Rails all cut to equal length and left overnight and the tenon fairies came
and cut the shoulders and cheeks not sure how they did it, but they were
still on the tablesaw when I got back in the morning
12tenonshoulderdch7.jpg

Hand dressed the bottoms of the legs with a dodgy old brassed plane I had laying about
13handdresseddnp8.jpg

Slots for the buttons cut
14buttonslotsdsj9.jpg

Frame now glued up, done in two stages
15glueupframexd4.jpg

Lots of buttons cut from leg offcuts
16cutbuttonsdzv4.jpg

Awkward bit hand scraped, didn't bother to sharpen scraper
hence more dust than shavings but still cleaned it up
17scrapeknotdbj3.jpg

Just showing that I left the rails deliberately proud by half a mm to allow for rail shrinkage
18proudrailsdye6.jpg

Applying a matt waterbased varnish
19applyingfinishdjo4.jpg

All the buttons now fitted
20buttonsinstalleddok9.jpg

Here it is finished
21tablefinishedbg9.jpg

And here it is in almost it's final resting place with it's lamp.
22insitudcr3.jpg

Phew Alan

Alan,
That is a great picture story and nice table to show for it. (Congrats and training the other half so well!)

What is the story on the pallet of oak? It looks rather better than a job lot of samples!

Is that pallet one of the ones they sell on ebay? I've looked at them but it is too much in one go for me.

Nice table :)

Thanks Dom

Chris
My missus is an absolute saint, I had to say that because she's looking over my shoulder :) . The pallet I bought on ebay from henry venables for a study wall cupboard project, which has been postponed for various reasons. The quality is OK I guess for the money. I am no expert but I have bought quality english oak boards before and paid heavily for it. This stuff has surface splits, moisture content quite high,had to store it for a month or two in a dry warm place to get it down. I could see it move. Also buying unknown sizes means you have to cut it down more which releases inner tension if you don't balance the removal from either side of the piece. All reasons why they reject it for flooring I guess. All that said it seems like a good way to buy a lot of wood you can have good hack at without losing out.

Nick yes the cupboard project looms after the fencing and another summerhouse and pergola...will it ever end

Philly I believe that I have been subject to subliminal influences over recent times when on the net you don't know anything about that do you?

Fizzy I was very tempted to add a picture of the empty pallet at the end :)

Thanks Paul/Robert see above

Alan

I like the table Alan, would go very nicely in my hall.

How did you offload the pallet? I contacted them and it was an additional £500 for delivery using a vehicle with offloading capability. :shock: That's not a typo it really was £500.

John

Woody Alan":piz0rg9z said:
Philly I believe that I have been subject to subliminal influences over recent times when on the net you don't know anything about that do you?
Alan

Yeah, you have to be careful out there in Internetland. There are some real bad influences....... :wink: :lol:
How's the sliding table? looks great.
Cheers
Philly :D

How did you offload the pallet? I contacted them and it was an additional £500 for delivery using a vehicle with offloading capability. That's not a typo it really was £500.
I took a chance I have had pallets before and they alway come on lorry with a tail lift anyway. But if it was going to awkward I had this plan where I would put a sheet of plastic down and just cut the bands and push the wood of the side of the lorry. I am sure the driver said they always come with a tail lift but....

Philly the sliding table is sort of OK it's a "Record" one adapted to fit and like a lot of things at that price point takes a lot of shimming, and it's fairly crude, but I like it because I just lift the left edge move the swing arm out of the way and the table swings down and out of the way. If I get time I would modify the rollers to bearing but having said that it works OK, for me I am not a pro using it every day.

Alan

Nice table, Alan, and a great photo-story too.

Just wondering what non-secret alternatives there are for cutting the bevels on the top.

Dave

non-secret alternatives
Well I could have marked it out and hand cut with a panel saw and hand planed it. I could have made a jig with a piece of ply with a slot and had the waste of the top proud through it and used a router on skis to remove it. I could have offered it up to the belt sander. I could have made a quick jig/fence for the bandsaw and passed it through....yes that's it...that's what I did :^o :roll:

Back