Laminated door parts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug71

Established Member
Reaction score
Cutting up some clear pine doors for the wood burner and was surprised just how many parts the rails etc were made up of, if you include the veneers this muntin which measured 35mm x 115mm is made of 13 pieces of wood.

I know laminated timber is supposedly more stable but I'm sure it's just really a way to get rid of all the off cuts, at least it's not chipboard!

laminated muntin.jpg

It does make you wonder Doug I was looking at the end grain of a chair stile that had come from Oak furniture land it couldn’t have been more than 40x30mm & it had 4 different grain patterns :oops: Presumably this is another reason they can be so cheap🤷‍♂️

It does make you wonder Doug I was looking at the end grain of a chair stile that had come from Oak furniture land it couldn’t have been more than 40x30mm & it had 4 different grain patterns :oops: Presumably this is another reason they can be so cheap🤷‍♂️

And I presume they can still say it's made of Solid Oak :dunno:

just goes to show "real wood" is more valuable than machine time and labour......!!!!!!!

I bought a pre finished Oak int door, on the blurb it said no laminates thinner than 15mm.....

you can buy oak door stiles and rails that are 3 laminations. they don't perform well in a gate tending to just open up at the lamina.

it's not about costs it's about stability. wood has never lent itself to production being an ornery pipper.

Back