Lambourn bash - aka the brummie bash re-located (updated)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is anyone interested in seeing how a pen is made (assuming such a thing can be demonstrated from start to finish) and if so is anyone who's coming able to demo it? :)

Miles

front page updated with the attendees, demos and stuff.

Still time to request activities (I have the buffing kit if anyone wants a go) or volunteer to bring something of interest etc :)

PM's will be going out soon.

Miles

I run a jet mini on a workmate at demos and it's solid as a rock. Better than you'd expect. Just make sure it is clamped on not just standing on it

pete

problem solved now as ive acquired a big lathe (denford viceroy) for work which i'll be lending to miles for the bash.

Buffing kit sounds like it'd be interesting Miles. Which one have you got as i'm thinking of aquiring one in the not too distant....

Oakbear":2usdw0fa said:
Buffing kit sounds like it'd be interesting Miles. Which one have you got as i'm thinking of aquiring one in the not too distant....
I've got the Beal one as when I bought it the Chestnut did not have the bowl mops

I have not yet conditioned the bowl mops but I can by the demo if we want to have a play...

Miles

Oakbear":14a3bshv said:

hi ryan
i have got the chestnut one if you want to have a go with it..

The viceroy is now in the car waiting to be delivered to miles this weekend- oddly its a 3 morse taper at the headstock and a 2 at the tailstock (me thinks that tailstock isnt the original one as its a slightly different colour to the rest)- both my lathe and miles' are 2 morse taper, so if any bashee has a 3 morse taper drive centre it would be most helpful if they could bring it along

The viceroy comes with a substantial chuck (a very tasty deal for £180 all in) and i'll be sorting out thread adaptors to 1/8tpi so we can use mine or miles' face plates etc (its currently 1.5/8tpi on the inboard, and 1.25 /9tpi on the outboard)

RATWOOD":15euij5f said:
I can do the flowers if you like

That would be great (if you can bring a pink pen to produce some pink ones for my Daughter that would be great! :)). I missed them last year so thanks for doing this.

Miles

stevebuk":14mc7533 said:
Oakbear":14mc7533 said:

hi ryan

Maybe a comparison test? Not that I'm expert enough to offer much in the way of a view on the differences it has to be said :)

Miles

big soft moose":1n30oorl said:
The viceroy is now in the car waiting to be delivered to miles this weekend- oddly its a 3 morse taper at the headstock and a 2 at the tailstock (me thinks that tailstock isnt the original one as its a slightly different colour to the rest)- both my lathe and miles' are 2 morse taper, so if any bashee has a 3 morse taper drive centre it would be most helpful if they could bring it along

The viceroy comes with a substantial chuck (a very tasty deal for £180 all in) and i'll be sorting out thread adaptors to 1/8tpi so we can use mine or miles' face plates etc (its currently 1.5/8tpi on the inboard, and 1.25 /9tpi on the outboard)

Would the thread adaptors sit on the lathe so that we can use our chucks etc or do they adaptors sit in the chuck etc?

Miles

miles_hot":czwesdjv said:
stevebuk":czwesdjv said:
Oakbear":czwesdjv said:

hi ryan

Maybe a comparison test? Not that I'm expert enough to offer much in the way of a view on the differences it has to be said :)

Miles

Thanks Steve. Are you coming now?
A comparison on the day would be cool! I don't think i've seen any direct comparison of the product, which is odd given these are the 'ready made' kits available for turners.

Chris - I'd love to see the famous flowers if you don't mind!

miles_hot":196re7my said:
big soft moose":196re7my said:

Would the thread adaptors sit on the lathe so that we can use our chucks etc or do they adaptors sit in the chuck etc?

Miles

they screw onto the spindle so we can use our chucks, face plates and what have you - I'll have to see what toolpost have, but may not be able to get one for the outboard as its a non standard size .

its a bit of an oddity having different spindles inboard and outboard but apparently all the viceroy educators had them like that.

miles_hot":rgabe56r said:
Is anyone interested in seeing how a pen is made (assuming such a thing can be demonstrated from start to finish) and if so is anyone who's coming able to demo it? :)

Miles

I can demo pen-making if anyone is interested. My kit is 1MT. Will any of the lathes attending handle that. If not I can bring my SIP mini and its portable stand.

Regards,

Mike C

mikec":3n6w35ye said:
miles_hot":3n6w35ye said:

Miles

I can demo pen-making if anyone is interested. My kit is 1MT. Will any of the lathes attending handle that. If not I can bring my SIP mini and its portable stand.

Regards,

Mike C

I think someone said thery were bringing a mini already - but i cant remember who.

big soft moose":bn6n358w said:
mikec":bn6n358w said:
miles_hot":bn6n358w said:

Miles

Regards,

Mike C

I think someone said thery were bringing a mini already - but i cant remember who.

No problem, I'll stick it in the car and if its required it will be available.

Regards,

Mike C

mikec":ux23bto1 said:
miles_hot":ux23bto1 said:

Miles

Regards,

Mike C
Mike

Edited to say "thank you very much for the offer - it'll be good!". Doug and Oakbear have put their hands up on the Pen demo front (with some caveats around experience and being their first demos) so have a word with them - it'll be interesting if you each have different methods / techniques.

Non of the lathes in the Garage have a 1MT however I think it was Richard that was bringing a mini along but I guess the more lathes the merrier if it's no hassle.

Miles

Hi Miles,

I'm bringing my Perform CCSL which is kind of mini, but has 2MT both ends.

Just as a reminder to everyone attending, I will be bringing along my range of Chestnut finishes and abrasives etc. If anyone wants anything in particular (such as a buffing kit for example :wink: ) just let me know and I'll get some ordered as they are not (yet) standard stock items.

Also, I've already offered to demo fruit and skew work, if there's anything else anyone is interested in seeing let me know!!

Cheers

Richard

miles_hot":177bfpka said:
mikec":177bfpka said:
miles_hot":177bfpka said:

Miles

Regards,

Mike C
Mike

Edited to say "thank you very much for the offer - it'll be good!". Doug and Oakbear have put their hands up on the Pen demo front (with some caveats around experience and being their first demos) so have a word with them - it'll be interesting if you each have different methods / techniques.

Non of the lathes in the Garage have a 1MT however I think it was Richard that was bringing a mini along but I guess the more lathes the merrier if it's no hassle.

Miles

How can we have another Mike.C or is it just the full stop that make's the difference?

EDIT: I see from looking at the profile that it should be mikec

Cheers

Mike

Back