Ladder construction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been asked to make a pair of ladders for my library clients (now becoming a job for life).

By my calculations they need to be 3m long and probably 400mm wide. I plan to use step treads rather than rungs because they will be more pleasant to stand on. They will be free hung rather than rolling because they are only needed for the tall end cabinets. However I have now been asked to make a further two sets of tall bookcases at the far end of the hall (c 20m away) for which these ladders would also be used.

To that end I am struggling big time to come up with a sturdy but lightweight design that is also in keeping with the overall look. They will have a hook at the top end to attach to a rail probably just fitted between the centre bookcase since there's no obvious stretch between there and the outside bookcases.

However the other prob is that if they do decide to use the ladders for both sets of cabinets - the other ones are going to be a different colour - most likely blue or burgundy.....

How can I make this out of timber, make it safe enough and keep the weight down?

Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Cheers

Tim

For those that don't know what I'm talking about see here but there's a couple below showing the new pediments.

DSCF0037Large-large.jpg

DSCF0023Large-large.jpg

Tim

I am not sure what you ask is possible, that could be for other more experienced people to say. What I can say is that I have had the "misfortune" to use many types of ladders internally and without a doubt as soon as you talk about any type of wooden ladder with flat treads you are going to be into serious weght issues (ours are on a monorail system and heavy just to store and turn) and carrying them about won't be a pleasant experience for your average book reader. Not wishing to be totally negative as my preamble would suggest, it did occour to me that fiberglass may be an option we use these at work occassionally and they are very light and sturdy albeit with rungs, I was just thinking it may be possible to veneer the fibreglass.
Just a thought to start you off.
Cheers Alan

I really think you should forget about the light weight and portability issue and concentrate on permanent / semi-permanent. The though of people carrying unwieldy ladders with all the balance issues, around there doesn't make a nice picture!

If they want ladders, give them ladders to match each set of Bookcases and make them solid and 'fixed' with decent wide steps. Perhaps an extra wide step or stool at the bottom to stop and have a read after their mountaineering exercise ..........

OOh, tall order there! I think the word that springs to mind is Aluminium. As has been stated they would not be light and would have to be a permanent fixture or hung on rails to slide. 3mtrs is a long length of timber. :?:

I'd be very careful about supplying a ladder or jacobs ladder as it is for use in a habitable room . I would and have gone for the step ladder in these situations .
Image004.jpg

Tim

Agree with much of what's gone before.

Couple of lateral thoughts.

Looking at the first picture, you can see the mx height that the feet need to be in order to access the topmost shelf. Ie it's the height of the walkway. If so then you only need a short stand-alone stepladder as jason suggests.

But...if they want a hook type ladder then why not make the ladder but only with rungs up to the level of the walkway? That will keep the weight down and also look more elegant.

And give them something to hang onto ........!

How about giving them some Combination / Harlequin Steps a la Sheraton? Quite a conversation piece and much less intrusive than a set of ladders.

Thanks for the advice - helpful stuff as always.

JFC":2s7nkzyk said:
I'd be very careful about supplying a ladder or jacobs ladder as it is for use in a habitable room

Is there something I'm missing here?

Roger Sinden":2s7nkzyk said:
Looking at the first picture, you can see the mx height that the feet need to be in order to access the topmost shelf. Ie it's the height of the walkway. If so then you only need a short stand-alone stepladder as jason suggests.

Good thinking but the cabs on the walkway need a couple of steps to get up to the top shelves so they would need to be taller than that - the upper part of the tall cab is just under 10 ft high!

Roger":2s7nkzyk said:
I really think you should forget about the light weight and portability issue and concentrate on permanent / semi-permanent. The though of people carrying unwieldy ladders with all the balance issues, around there doesn't make a nice picture!

If they want ladders, give them ladders to match each set of Bookcases and make them solid and 'fixed' with decent wide steps. Perhaps an extra wide step or stool at the bottom to stop and have a read after their mountaineering exercise ..........

I think you are right - it appears to me that they are after the impossible. The problem with permanent is the distance that the ladder base would intrude into the room plus they are concerned with the look of it.

I think another conversation with them is required!

Cheers

Tim

Just to throw another spanner in the works!!
I believe if you supply this kind of "equipment" it has to be CE marked.

Andy

They already have something similar which is fine for the cabinets on the gallery and in the study next door but its the higher shelves on the cabinets between the windows which are 14ft off the ground (think first floor window!). Stepladders are fine but at that size would be absolutely impossible to move unless they were in Aluminium - and they've already got some of those

2749_49406.jpg

Cheers

Tim

Tim , i seem to remember something in the regs about not having a jacobs ladder or ladder in a habitable room but a step ladder is ok .

Tim just as a further thing to watch out for do take care, as someone else mentioned, that your final decision is covered by all the regs. I know it gets banged on about a little too often on here about you can't do this or that, but it is something which is really coming to light now and our company is spending a fortune training us to climb steps, how to carry them etc and is considering replacing travelling ladders that have seen decades of service built extremely high quality from Mahogany and replacing with walkways because of this legislation, and an unfortunate chap died only a couple of months ago coming off the top of a ladder and hitting his head on a radiator valve with no knob on it, so I think it is worth a mention.
Sorry to be glum, Alan

Tim,

Just noticed a range of library ladders in the Hafele catalogue. Item number is 819.12.218. Don't know if they are suitable though.

Thanks Nick

I had seen them but they are a bit much £1400 odd ex vat and installation! and they don't really fit with the look.

Cheers

Tim

Latest posts

Back