Laburnum toxicity

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duncanh

Established Member
Reaction score
I know that the seeds and leaves are very toxic but what about the wood?

I have a lovely piece that would make 2 great pepper grinders.

Duncan

I'm not sure. I have seen pepper grinders in Yew and that's toxic I wouldn't not have give it much thought I would have just made them, Are they for your own use.

Terry Porter, Wood Identification and Use (2004)

This book notes that the seeds are highly toxic to humans and animals, but makes no other comment.

My advice is not to eat the seeds, although you probably won't want to eat the timber either.

Cheers,

Dod

Other references refer to the wood being toxic also if consumed, my thoughts would be, as the contents are going to be dry, just seal the internal grain areas well before assembly.

A friend of mine specializes in peppermills. He thinks laburnum is a wonderfull wood for mills. He wrote an article(in Dutch) about turning a peppermill in laburnum. Personally I would seal the inside just to be sure.

I just finished my first peppermill as a by-product of rereading Mike Darlows Woodturning Design.
20070602_d70_5225bb01.jpg

Alder and wenge, 225 mm x 65 mm Ø.
The usual metal knob on top is replaced by a wenge cylinder to set the grinding mechanism.

Hans

Latest posts

Back