Child safe finish

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tung oil is food-safe - it can be used on wooden serving bowls, utensils etc so I would assume child-safe too.
You can adjust the level of sheen too if that's important
Ed

Butchers blocks spring to mind after reading this thread. Was not long age the so called boffins in the food health and safety went all out for colourful plastic chopping boards red for meat yellow for dairy blue for fish and green for veg. However a few years later the same boffins came to the conclusion that the wooden butcher block was far better as the bacteria was able to be retained at higher levels in the score mark's left by the kitchen utensils used on the plastic boards than that of wood ones and the wooden ones had a form of natural defence for expelling the same bacteria.So kid friendly wood finished or unfinished toys would seem to be the better option and when dirty quick wash with soapy water. Just my thinking.

I am planning on giving my nephews a whistle. I've made a few now on the lathe and they are brilliant, and will also be incredibly annoying :)
Please be extremely careful to observer the legal requirements for small toys for children.
The fact you are not marketing an item does not mean you do not have a responsibility to safeguard the child.

See this link on my site:- Chas Jones, Hobby Turner

I have an old tin of Osmo that states it is safe for children's toys - and I just checked the product information for Osmo PolyX and it states "When dry, finish is safe for humans, animals and plants and is suitable for children‘s toys as per EN 71.3 (European norm) and is saliva-resistant and sweatproof according to DIN 53160 (German industrial norm)."

Back