Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Krenov style Cabinet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Philly

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
As you probably know I have finally completed my "Krenov" style cabinet. I started it back in November so it is about time! :lol:
It is made from spalted sycamore and Ovangkol, and features NO man made materials. (Hey, how about a competition where you use no man made materials? No? Oh well :lol: ) The hardware is Brusso pin hinges and it is finished with oil, shellac and wax.
It was a real pleasure to work with the sycamore, especially as the Ovangkol was the complete opposite! Hanging the doors was not quite as difficult as I thought as I have never used pin hinges before, but it was still a bit nail biting. The handles are handmade, and many an hour was spent whittling various shapes to come up with the fianl design-many thanks for all your ideas! The drawers feature solid cedar bottoms (which I cut from a log I brought home for woodturning and seasoned myself) and have an overlapping front on the one side only to give the same join line as the doors.
I am pretty pleased with how it came together-instead of a final plan I left the design a bit fluid and let each part of the construction inspire the next. It certainly took longer than if I had a complete plan to begin with but the finished cabinet definitely came out o.k. in the end.
I think my next project will be a little more straightforward to give my nerves a chance to recover! :lol:
I have full step by step photo's on my website here...
http://www.philsville.co.uk/krenov1.htm
And a few pics ....
2005_0601krenovcomplete0008.jpg

2005_0531krenovhandles0005.jpg

2005_0601krenovcomplete0005.jpg

Cheers
Philly :D

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
There are no words... Marvellous. Why in heck you have to get all coy with the paltry number of pics of the finished article, I don't know. Gloat, man, gloat! (Never thought I'd have to say that...). BTW, I assume the three-quarter pic is closest for the real colour?

Cheers, Alf

Philly

Established Member
Reaction score
More pics to follow-the damned sun has gone in since finishing it and I can't get a worthy shot!!! :roll:
The Ovangkol is really dark, the sycamore changes depending how you look at it. Better pics will follow-honest! :lol:
Philly :D

Neil

Established Member
Reaction score
Absolutely stunning, Philly :shock: \:D/

Philly":3gx84vm2 said:
...and features NO man made materials
Philly also":3gx84vm2 said:
The hardware is Brusso pin hinges...
You must show me this Brusso tree sometime :p :lol:

Cheers,
Neil

Scott

Established Member
Reaction score
It looks fantastic Philly! Well done!

A

Anonymous

I am deeply jealous of your skills - fantastic work mate, fantastic!!!!!

tim

Established Member
Reaction score
Philly

It looks great - well done. Can you provide some more details about the Ovangkol please.

Chris":1onq7cb5 said:
(And in addition to the Brusso Tree, I would love to see the glue pond)

its between the oil stream and the shellac marsh, next to the wax mountain..... :roll:

Cheers

Tim

Les Mahon

Established Member
Reaction score
Simply stuning - I am in awe of your workmanship

crawling quietly back into my corner now, all dreams of becoming a cabinet maker in the near future banished, where did I put the programming manual :cry:

Les

Adam

Established Member
Reaction score
Superb! Really stunning!

Adam

Shadowfax

Established Member
Reaction score
Philly, that is stunning, mate! Very well done.
Something smaller next, then? Or just simply easier and less taxing on the grey stuff?
Cheers.

SF

I suppose if you paddled in the glue pond we might not see you again! Only in one place at any rate!

MikeW

Established Member
Reaction score
Very, very nice, Philly!

It's a piece that I can tell would be nice to be able to see and touch in person.

Well done.

Mike