Krenov style Cabinet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philly

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
As you probably know I have finally completed my "Krenov" style cabinet. I started it back in November so it is about time! :lol:
It is made from spalted sycamore and Ovangkol, and features NO man made materials. (Hey, how about a competition where you use no man made materials? No? Oh well :lol: ) The hardware is Brusso pin hinges and it is finished with oil, shellac and wax.
It was a real pleasure to work with the sycamore, especially as the Ovangkol was the complete opposite! Hanging the doors was not quite as difficult as I thought as I have never used pin hinges before, but it was still a bit nail biting. The handles are handmade, and many an hour was spent whittling various shapes to come up with the fianl design-many thanks for all your ideas! The drawers feature solid cedar bottoms (which I cut from a log I brought home for woodturning and seasoned myself) and have an overlapping front on the one side only to give the same join line as the doors.
I am pretty pleased with how it came together-instead of a final plan I left the design a bit fluid and let each part of the construction inspire the next. It certainly took longer than if I had a complete plan to begin with but the finished cabinet definitely came out o.k. in the end.
I think my next project will be a little more straightforward to give my nerves a chance to recover! :lol:
I have full step by step photo's on my website here...
http://www.philsville.co.uk/krenov1.htm
And a few pics ....
2005_0601krenovcomplete0008.jpg

2005_0531krenovhandles0005.jpg

2005_0601krenovcomplete0005.jpg

Cheers
Philly :D

There are no words... Marvellous. Why in heck you have to get all coy with the paltry number of pics of the finished article, I don't know. Gloat, man, gloat! (Never thought I'd have to say that...). BTW, I assume the three-quarter pic is closest for the real colour?

Cheers, Alf

More pics to follow-the damned sun has gone in since finishing it and I can't get a worthy shot!!! :roll:
The Ovangkol is really dark, the sycamore changes depending how you look at it. Better pics will follow-honest! :lol:
Philly :D

Absolutely stunning, Philly :shock: \:D/

Philly":3gx84vm2 said:
...and features NO man made materials
Philly also":3gx84vm2 said:
The hardware is Brusso pin hinges...
You must show me this Brusso tree sometime :p :lol:

Cheers,
Neil

I am deeply jealous of your skills - fantastic work mate, fantastic!!!!!

Philly

It looks great - well done. Can you provide some more details about the Ovangkol please.

Chris":1onq7cb5 said:
(And in addition to the Brusso Tree, I would love to see the glue pond)

its between the oil stream and the shellac marsh, next to the wax mountain..... :roll:

Cheers

Tim

Simply stuning - I am in awe of your workmanship

crawling quietly back into my corner now, all dreams of becoming a cabinet maker in the near future banished, where did I put the programming manual :cry:

Les

Philly, that is stunning, mate! Very well done.
Something smaller next, then? Or just simply easier and less taxing on the grey stuff?
Cheers.

SF

I suppose if you paddled in the glue pond we might not see you again! Only in one place at any rate!

Back