Knifemaking

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Benchwayze":eg3fw24p said:
An eating knife! I was talking about those to a friend, just the other day.

Those were the days, eh Harbo! No planners, no window tax, and the headsman with his axe if you went wrong and coveted your neighbours Ox... :eek:
Coveted being another way of saying 'felt hungry'!

Are you a fan of Ray Mears perchance?

Well, when you are in a field eating venison stew in full medieval kit you only have two eating implements: The knife and the spoon (forks are a poncy Venetian thing in this period ;) )

Admittedly we have to be very careful to take all sharps off of our belts when we go into town to pick up anything we forgot from the super market

Like it!
I always thought that a fork was a spoon that hadn't escaped the stamping machine!

Venison... Lovely Jubbly!

Regards
John :D

Here's the knife that got me into trouble - the bottom one - blade length about 1"

almar1zo3.jpg

I suppose it's very dangerous in the wrong hands?

Rod

I have one of those Rod, but it has a 'Bowie' type blade of about 3.5 inches. In other respects it's the same, except the lock doesn't work on mine and it's loose enough to flick it open, like a 'gravity knife', which are also illegal to possess.

Can't see why you should have had problems other than it is a lock knife, and of course, the present breed of 'brigands and ruffians' like them as a weapon of defence, because they don't close up on the fingers when they 'use' them.

Sad and strange times we live in when a man can't carry a pocket knife, but he can have a Stanley knife in the toolbox in the boot!
Right no more about Laws from me! They are not going to get me to throw away my collection!

Enjoy the re-enactments Rod. I'll pop by for some venison. I can always claim to be a time traveller!
Regards
John :)

Harbo":303nztbr said:
Benchwayze - not me I think Kane has confused the quotes?
I used to be a Boy Scout though :)

I have a Randall knife on order (from about 3 years ago?) but have misplaced the receipt - they had a four year waiting list and refuse to increase their production or prices to meet demand. Some knife sellers place regular orders with them (there was a limit of 1 a month?) and when they get them sell on Ebay for double the price!!
You used to pay a $50 deposit and the price was fixed at date of order.
Nice little earner if you can be bothered?

http://www.randallknives.com/faq.php

Now a 6 year wait!!

Rod
Now I like knives as an item, but not that much! I'd sooner learn how to make one! Any Damascus Steel anyone?
:lol:

Hope you knife arrives eventually Rod. I had the same problem with a Carriagemakers' plane of flea-bay recently, although that wasn't an expected delay!

Benchwayze":3rvw1sn0 said:
Now I like knives as an item, but not that much! I'd sooner learn how to make one! Any Damascus Steel anyone?

Be a bit careful if you buy damascus steel from anyone you are not 100% sure of. I know a couple of people who have been known to sell pseudo-damascus steel (they fully admit it is not real damascus) made out of motorbike chain hammered flat. That way they get the patterning without all of that tedious folding.

I made a knife in my Daniel Boone days when shooting rabbits in Oz by cutting blade out of an old (thicker gauge) saw, shaping and sharpening it up. I think I hand-hammered some rivets thru the handle. These were pre-woodworking days so prob just some scrap wood. Mild steel make the best blades for an edge tho it does dull quicker and will rust of course. Easier to hone than stainless.

Get that old saw out pilgrim!

John

I thought you had to fold and hammer to get anything like that grain... We live and learn then. I must see if there's an old chain around the shop! :D

I have a nice piece of 'Leadwood' I am saving for a chisel handle; one day I will get around to it! With my track record, since back surgery, don't hold breath on the knife. Although I have wanted a good marking knife for some time so maybe I could ease myself back into the workshop that way! :)

No need for Damascus there though. Probably as suggsted, an old machine-hacksaw blade.

Thanks fellas.
Ps.. Didn't I read somewhere that old 'leaf car springs' make good cutting tools? I know they make a powerful cross-bow. A friend of mine made one and got me to saw the butt from some walnut. Back in the days when you could find Walnut in the yards!

Benchwayze":3tyvhnb1 said:
Ps.. Didn't I read somewhere that old 'leaf car springs' make good cutting tools? I know they make a powerful cross-bow. A friend of mine made one and got me to saw the butt from some walnut. Back in the days when you could find Walnut in the yards!

I have some plane irons made from landrover MkII leaf springs. They work well enough.

Can you remember what kind of mechanism the cross bow used for a trigger assembly.

Cheers Mike.

Benchwayze":7rsu9v7p said:
I thought you had to fold and hammer to get anything like that grain... We live and learn then. I must see if there's an old chain around the shop! :D

Well, in order to do true folded steel blades you are supposed to fold then flatten the steel multiple times. Originally the folds would have just been forged together (heat it and hit is a lot), these days you would use borax as a flux and effectively solder the two halves on top of each other (heat it and hit it not quite so much).

the ironic thing is that folding steel was developed as a technique to counter the poor and erratic quality of the steel. These days with high quality steel there is very little need to fold it, although the thread on Japanese chisels still shows there is an occasional good use. Most damascus steel is done for gloat purposes now it seems ;)

Benchwayze":7rsu9v7p said:

A lot of the reenactment sword makers use car leaf springs because the steel is already at the right temper and they will not shatter when you hit them against another sword. Plus they are already mostly sword shaped ;) Go to any big reenactment market and there will probably be someone there selling old leaf springs.

mr":2su7lt98 said:
Benchwayze":2su7lt98 said:

Can you remember what kind of mechanism the cross bow used for a trigger assembly.

Cheers Mike.
Hi Mike,
I'm afraid I can't. This was 30 odd years ago. I do remember it was cocked by drawing back the string by hand; i.e no windlass.

I also remember that the bolts travelled some distance, of course, and a rabbit or hare offerd absolutely no resitance to them. I wasn't so good a shot, but I did have some good stews around that time!

I think you'll have to Google for mechanisms. If you can find instructions for making B o**b*s! then I reckokn crossbow mchanisms are no trouble. :) :)

Benchwayze":re5q60ve said:
I think you'll have to Google for mechanisms. If you can find instructions for making B o**b*s! then I reckokn crossbow mchanisms are no trouble. :) :)

Google is indeed my friend :) have found a few trigger assemblies, and have come up with one of my own - might have to have a go at it some time. <sigh> yet another thing added to the list </sigh>

Cheers Mike

No problem Mike. I know the feeling of the growing list.

Better get on topic now, and talk about wood.
Apprently Maple is good for the stock etc.. but as I said, walnut was what I was asked to use for that job.

Bit expensive these dyas thouhg!
Alla best

I have a 12 foot long plank of ABW , bout 3 inches thick by 10 wide awaiting a deserving project. In fact I seem to be ammasing pretty wood and not using it at the moment. But back on topic I have some small bits here on the desk whivh I might try to turn into a knife today / tomorrow.

I have a stick tang blade waiting for a handle and have been wary of drilling out the handles - but spose if I don't just go for it nothing will ever happen!

Cheers Mike

That plank must be in £three figures..
Ideal for a cabinet of some sort.. Save it for something nice, and don't be a vandal all your life!
:D :D :D

Take a trip round some of these antique fairs and look through the junk boxes; for old worn-out carving knives with staghorn handles.

The steel is good for marking knives too.

Regards

Latest posts

Back