Knifemaking

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smudger

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm a bit worried about this, but I have got a sudden hankering to make a knife or two...

To start with I'd like to use a pre-formed blade, like those from Weber
http://www.weberknives.com/

I've seen a post, but can't remember where, in which someone demonstrated making a handle by cutting two pieces of interesting wood, then epoxying them either side of the tang and shaping with rasps/paper. Is it as technically simple as that? Is there anyone here with experience of doing it - and what woods would you suggest? Or any sites that would take me through the process?

And how do I avoid getting an Asbo?

Interesting.

Apparently I am up for an ASBO already, as I take a Swiss Army Knife into school!

And that the Opinel knife I bought from Axminster is illegal!

I could be going down for this - I'm a terrorist and never realized!

My Swiss Army knife has been in my pocket almost every day for the last twenty five years or so. I have had a blade and couple of handle blanks sat here on my desk for what seems like almost as long awaiting a workshop opportunity. Can't decide which blank to use. I fancy an ebony handle but don't want to mess it up having never had a go at this before.

Cheers Mike

I once used a Swiss Army Camping knife to cut up an old-style desk (during a lesson - I was bored). Did the whole job in about 5 minutes with one of those double-cut saws.

Mine is a technical knife, so the pliers and bits get used quite a lot, as do the screwdrivers. The rest is just sharpening pencils, but apparently there is a specific law against bringing any form of knife into a school. I've even had to take my hand grenades and mortar shells (visual aids for teaching WW1) home...

I just fancy making a knife for general workshop use - although I could buy whatever I want in France and bring it home embedded in the dirty washing!

Dick - it's as simple as you say to epoxy a couple of bits of interesting timber to a blank of steel. I made myself a marking knife by using a lump of old HSS planer blade and then epoxying on some Cuban Mahogany oddments I had loafing about (gloat in there somewhere :lol: ) shape and smooth with files and sandpaper...make sure you use the old slow setting Aradite, the quick stuff isn't as good - Rob

Pen knives that fold with a blade length under 75mm (I think?) are legal.
It is the fixed blade or locking types whatever the size that are not.

I got picked up going into the Houses of Parliament for carrying a tiny Al Mar gentlemens locking knife which was attached to my key ring. It is so small I had forgotten about it! (I had left my legal swiss army knife at home - just in case). The Policeman gave me a real telling off and kept it until I came out again - I did get it back, with another lecture, but it now resides in a drawer at home :(

A few years ago I became interested in making knives and bought a few blade blanks (Finland makes a lot) and other bits (horn, brass, fancy woods etc.) for the handles. But with the spate of stabbings, bad publicity etc and pressure to ban knives I never did make one.
There are lots of firms on the net selling knife parts though - I think Dick sell them too?

Rod

You may want to think of using a few rivets to hold the handle in place too, better than epoxy. It depends on the sort of handle you are looking to use.
A full handle with the tang of the blade going from the hilt to the end of the handle is best and the handle can be secured by peening over the end of the tang.
As an alternative rivet two fancy pieces of wood or whatever material you want to the side of the tang.

The law as usual is not clear as you can carry a knife with a blade longer than 3" if you have just cause to do so, eg a diver, certain workmen et al

Smudger":3leni95j said:
I once used a Swiss Army Camping knife to cut up an old-style desk (during a lesson - I was bored). Did the whole job in about 5 minutes with one of those double-cut saws.

Are you one of the pupils? :lol:

Harbo":qpypdeza said:

So my Leatherman which has two locking blades and lives on my belt is illegal then. I wonder how they can keep selling them?

I must confess that I am tempted to make a couple of knives for reenactment to go with the eating knife in order to replace the two leatherworking knives I have where the blades are two thick at the back. I have some nice yew branches that would make wonderful handles.

Smudger":botpjvzk said:
I'm a bit worried about this, but I have got a sudden hankering to make a knife or two...

To start with I'd like to use a pre-formed blade, like those from Weber
http://www.weberknives.com/

And how do I avoid getting an Asbo?

Don't take the knife outside for your picnic Smudger.. :)

I have some details somewhere for the knifemaking fraternity, but I would think if you Google it, you will find the UK equivalent too. I know there is one. I was thinking of this myself, but I have enough to do to make a cutlery drawer for the Kitchen!

Regards
John
:)

frugal":2etnzit7 said:
Harbo":2etnzit7 said:

So my Leatherman which has two locking blades and lives on my belt is illegal then. I wonder how they can keep selling them?

I must confess that I am tempted to make a couple of knives for reenactment to go with the eating knife in order to replace the two leatherworking knives I have where the blades are two thick at the back. I have some nice yew branches that would make wonderful handles.

Not illegal per se but you need a "good reason" to be carrying a locking knife - check out the legal thread at British Blades for excellent info.

A lock-knife of any description is illegal. (in a public Place).

A 'flick-knife', is defined in law as an offensive weapon, 'per see'. No possession whatsoever.

Folding penknives of blade-length less than 3.5 ins were legal, but the boys in blue are getting 'edgy' about those too. A case of prove why you are carrying it.

I think you'd find fishermen, divers, forresters etc, would be able to class a knife as a tool.

Me? If I wanted to create mayhem a heavy Disston would do the job nicely!
(homer)

An eating knife! I was talking about those to a friend, just the other day.

Those were the days, eh Harbo! No planners, no window tax, and the headsman with his axe if you went wrong and coveted your neighbours Ox... :eek:
Coveted being another way of saying 'felt hungry'!

Are you a fan of Ray Mears perchance?

:wink:

Regards..

Benchwayze - not me I think Kane has confused the quotes?
I used to be a Boy Scout though :)

I have a Randall knife on order (from about 3 years ago?) but have misplaced the receipt - they had a four year waiting list and refuse to increase their production or prices to meet demand. Some knife sellers place regular orders with them (there was a limit of 1 a month?) and when they get them sell on Ebay for double the price!!
You used to pay a $50 deposit and the price was fixed at date of order.
Nice little earner if you can be bothered?

http://www.randallknives.com/faq.php

Now a 6 year wait!!

Rod

got picked up going into the Houses of Parliament for carrying a tiny Al Mar gentlemens locking knife which was attached to my key ring. It is so small I had forgotten about it! (I had left my legal swiss army knife at home - just in case). The Policeman gave me a real telling off and kept it until I came out again - I did get it back, with another lecture, but it now resides in a drawer at home Sad

Pathetic isn't it? I have several of the 'illegal' locking blades, at least they don't fold on you, don't remove your thumbnail when you open them and they don't bite when you close 'em.
Perhaps I should hand myself in as the oldest potential terrorist in Wales!

Roy.

Back