Kity 439

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geoff S

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a forum newby and I'm about to buy a used Kity 439. I know some of you have them - any particular points I should look for?

Also, can someone tell me the max depth/width of cut on a Minimax P32 bandsaw and also perhaps the motor size and maximum width of blade it can take?

Thanks in advance, Geoff

Hi Geoff,

Welcome to the forum. :D

I don't have any of the machines you are asking about but hopefully someone will be along soon with some answers. 8)

Hi Geoff,

I've got one. It's got a non standard dust extraction hole. it's about 100mm but its an oval. Easy to sort out but worth mentioning if you want to be up and running quickly.

Also, the gauge on the thicknesser on mine was about 1 mm out. Again no big deal but don't trust the gauge.

All in all, a good bit of kit!

pike

Thanks Pike,

Good to hear that it's a nice piece of kit. How did you modify the extractor fitting from oval to round - i think i'm going to have the same problem?

The 1.1kw motor sounds a bit small to me - have you had any problems with it being under-powered in practice?

I used a plastic reducer from bnq but needed to modify it a bit. Others have used flexible 100mm hose and a jubilee clip. Someone also told me that heat shrink sleeves would work well.

I've had no problems with it being underpowered, but I've only been doing weekend hobby stuff really.

Cheers,
pike

I have used one for afew years now.
8 inch width for planing can be a problem...12 inch gives you the versatility of wide drawer fronts in one piece etc.
You must keep the metal pick up roller free of resin build up and debris as it soon clogs. This make the work jam, or gives the planed work a rippled affect.
The extraction port is also problamatic. It can also clog when a wide board is put through...all in all the extractor port is a pain in getting chippings away from the machine...again only on full width boards.

The fence needs setting at 90 deg every time you plane face side and edge, as it is ali extrusion and very flimsy.

Spare parts are available from a company in Yorkshire, via Kity...however
the French seem to operate when they want to so you may wait some time for any parts you need.

When I purchased mine it was one of the top buys for a planer thicknesser in the mags, and although I still use it on a daily basis, am considering upgrading to a 12 inch planer thicknesser because of the points I have raised.

For the price second hand and as a starter machine it's fine. It's good to learn on and easily fits in a small workshop or garage.

I know this is a late post...but I hope it helps

Mike

Thanks mike, I've bought the machine and used it a bit just to check it out. Now I've got the cutters sharpened and reset and shimmed the outfeed table slightly it seems to produce a really nice finish. However, i can see that the extraction and the fence settings could be a bit fiddly - good job i'm only using it for hobby work! geoff

Back