Kitchen Sink

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Hancock

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm getting towards the end of finishing the kitchen after nearly 2 years and am now at the stage where I need to source a decent stainless steel sink. I'm looking for a single bowl and drainer which doesn't flex like the present one. Any recommendations?

Cheers
Mark

Our Franke one is not bad but they all seem to be pretty lightweight these days.

I just checked ours, put in about 13 years ago and still looking good, to see if I could add anything useful. It's a Franke.

Also got a Franke, it flexes but not as bad as others we saw. Tap is also Franke, that doesn't seem to be holding up as well.

I installed a stainless Franke, it seems solid enough. Be aware of their new method fixing the sink into the worktop. They use effectively irreversible spring clips which does not really allow for a test fitting and I hate them!! Google a pic for what these are..

Franke here. I replaced twin round sinks (disaster area!) with a Franke that was just one big sink and drainer. You can get a large washing up bowl in it "portrait" (rather than "landscape", if you see what I mean), so there is room alongside to rinse things, but still enough room in it to get the wire shelves from the oven in for cleaning. It's also nice not to have a forest of waste piping and trappery in the cupboard underneath.

It's tough, and did really, really well, until our 6'3" plasterer stood on it, which pushed the drainer out of shape a bit. I haven't replaced it, and unless you know what happened to it you wouldn't realise.

Wherever we move to next, I'll probably do the same: swap out any sink-and-a-half nonsense for another sensible Franke one!

E.

PS: In the interests of full disclosure, I'm typing this whilst the DC's out playing for Carols by Candlelight tonight. She always pretends to grumble about how it was "imposed" on her (after the previous arrangement drenched me for the third or fourth time), but I think she actually rather like it, as it's sensible, easy to keep clean and doesn't waste any space (we're very short of worktop acreage).

I fitted a Franke and thought it was on the thin side, I fitted a ply bracket to th underside of the tap to ensure that it was reasonably firm. Mine had the multiple "teeth" type clips as well, they made fitting very quick and easy but terrifying to do, I will be avoiding that type of fitting method in future.

Mike Jordan":mfxlafeb said:
I fitted a Franke and thought it was on the thin side, I fitted a ply bracket to th underside of the tap to ensure that it was reasonably firm. Mine had the multiple "teeth" type clips as well, they made fitting very quick and easy but terrifying to do, I will be avoiding that type of fitting method in future.

I remember those nasty clips on mine, even though it was close to 20 years ago!

But I did think (back then) that it was thicker SS than average - perhaps they've economised since we got ours.

Thank you for all the info guys. I'll look into the Franke sinks though a little concerned about the clamping arrangement because of the comments made as I would like to test fit it.

Cheers
Mark

Franke here too. Big square single sink and drainer around 2mm thick S/S - very solid. Ours came with toothy clips but they have a screw to tighten them (or untighten them) and were fiddly as as a fiddly thing - but that could be down to me.

Paul

Also a Franke, with big, deep single bowl and drainer. I don't bother with clamps, just silicone all the way round, drop in the sink and weigh it down until set. Clean off any silicone round the edges when semi set.

Latest posts

Back