Kiln Dried birch logs?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joggerdude

Reaction score
I've just started using my small Axminster bandsaw, and was wondering if the small nets of kiln dried birch log quarters, available cheaply from b&m and home bargains would be suitable for small projects and for general practice?
Thanks.

depends what you are making. I dont see why you couldn't use them, but it is likely to be sized (I assume) for a wood burner, so by the time you cut usable pieces, it is only going to yield small bits. there are better options out there, but it depends a bit on what you want.

when you say general practice, aside from perhaps cutting joints, I would practice by making something. You could join 2 bits to practice a dovetail. Alternatively you could make a bookend, by errrr joining 2 bits with a dovetail. it helps focus attention when there is a defined outcome.

I'd check how dry they are first! I've heard of some some kiln dried stuff that was wetter than air dried!(possibly imported) but a friend got thrown out of a shop for going through the firewood with a moisture meter so would suggest they knew

Back