Kids!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simuk

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello folks,

Have been asked to make a coffin for my daughters school art project :shock: , just hope i don't find it dead boring :) Anyway as this is not a project i have done before, was looking for a few pointers off you knowledgeable folk out there.

It does not have to support any real weight as it will only display my daughters art work. It needs to have a hinged lid which is to remain open

My daughter is going to paint pictures on the outside afterwards, so i think mdf would be ideal.

Not sure what joints to use on the sides?, going to use butt joints on the ends that will be glued & screwed. Any suggestions on the glue?. It will be 1.5m long

Thanks in advance

Simon

Hi Simuk

It's been a while! The best way to make the sides bend is probably to kerf them, just like the real thing. For a dummy I'd just glue, butt and pin/screw the rest

Scrit

Simon,
Here is a kerfed one I photographed in Oz last year.

DSC_4444_1.jpg

Look i am gonna make no bones about it :D, after reading some of your puns i felt like climbing into the finished coffin :D

Thanks for the help folks, the kerfed idea worked out great for the sides, so did using the rope. Going to post some pictures tomorrow.

Being as it all went so well, i thought about taking it up for a living, but decided against it as i think it will only end up being another dead end job :lol: .

Hello Scrit

Simon

Back