Keep or sell? Table Saw vs Band Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twodoctors

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this question has come up before. I (foolishly) bought a table saw about 7 years ago to do the laminate flooring in my study. I said foolishly because with hindsight I would have been better off with a band saw. Not really used it until last few weeks when started attempts at making a pistol grip for my target shooting pistol. That's when I caught the woodworking bug again (which laid dormant for the last ~26 years at school).

Amongst other machines I have bought (305mm sander, scroll saw and bench drill, all secondhand), I bought a small secondhand band saw (I know) via the Bay for £45. It's a "Guild" table one sold by Argos since last year I think. They were going for between £70 to £100 for ex-display so I thought I have done alright for a "hardly-used" one (and it is a very clean sample). Had one cut yesterday just to test it out... it does cut, and brings back memory from all those years ago. Looking at the internals and specs sheet it's probably the same machine as most other branded budget machine (eg Sealey SM1303). Bought some new blades for them from Axminster so it should cut ok too.

I do have the room for both saws (but I can use the extra room so other machines don't have to stay on the floor). Paid full price for the table saw so if I sell I'll probably lose money. On the other hand I rarely uses it, and the band saw is likely to take over most of the cutting duties, making the table saw fairly redundant.

Decisions decisions...

Adrian

two different horses for 2 different courses. my bandsaw sits on top of my table saw, it has it's merits, but the table saw does too.

oh and go to tuffsaw for blades for that machine.

A table saw does make a handy place to pile up tools, odd bits of wood, cups of coffee... :wink:

Only you can make that decision Adrian based on your available space and the kind work you do and that work can change direction.
I have both and would be hard pressed to part with either.

Bob

Keep the one which is better quality. If they are the same quality, keep the bandsaw.
I have both, good quality, and I wouldn't be without either. But if I HAD to choose, I would, with enormous reluctance, ditch the TS.

Being a bit of a hoarder, I'll probably keep it. Would have sold it a while back if I really didn't want it. I just thought I would sought the opinion of my learned friends on here.

Between the two, which is better quality? Neither! The Table is a "Titan" Screwfix machine, but with two Silverline blades... so not amazing by any stretch of imagination. It does the job alright, the fence is straight enough, but the mitre guide is atrocious. The "Guild" Band Saw is also a made in China effort so not much to write home about. Bought it cheap (I think) and only yesterday so that will have to stay a bit before I upgrade / sell / bin (if spare parts required).

I guess I'll have to move something out to get the router table in...

:-D

twodoctors":15ogsx3j said:
Being a bit of a hoarder, I'll probably keep it. Would have sold it a while back if I really didn't want it. I just thought I would sought the opinion of my learned friends on here.

Between the two, which is better quality? Neither! The Table is a "Titan" Screwfix machine, but with two Silverline blades... so not amazing by any stretch of imagination. It does the job alright, the fence is straight enough, but the mitre guide is atrocious. The "Guild" Band Saw is also a made in China effort so not much to write home about. Bought it cheap (I think) and only yesterday so that will have to stay a bit before I upgrade / sell / bin (if spare parts required).

I guess I'll have to move something out to get the router table in...

:-D

Throw away the Silverline blades as they're cr*p and buy a decent one like a Freud and it will transform the saw. A cross cut sled will solve your mitre guide problems.

Same with the bandsaw, buy a decent blade from Tuffsaws or Axi and tune up the machine, you won't believe the difference.

Bob

First thing I did for the band saw was to buy some Axi blades.

Will look into getting some new blades for the table saw. Don't use it often enough to justify it yet.

Adrian

Honestly - I don't think you can fettle the Titan table saw. It's only good for rough cutting as the table top is nowhere near flat (I tried 2)

I have and use both but if forced to pick only one, i would keep the bandsaw. Tablesaw used to get used primarily for sheet goods but the tracksaw now does that for me. However, i sometimes need to rip many 2" and 3" strips and the tablesaw is the tool best suited to that. Most of the time it is shoved in the corner of my workshop as to have it set up permanently uses valuable space and it doesn't get enough use to justify it. I will probably sell it at some point and buy a portable one that i can hang on the wall but i am having trouble justifying to myself the £5-600 outlay it would cost for a decent one that wouldn't get much use.

I'm with Steve on this, I would keep both if you can because they extend the flexibility and accuracy of what you can cope with project wise. But if I were on desert island discs and they said "you can only keep one machine tool"......it would be the bandsaw!

I appreciate that scenario is fairly unlikely to happen :)

I'd say there's little point in selling either as you won't get enough for a bag of chips from the proceeds! Try and make use of them as best you can until you have the funds or inclination to buy something better. In doing so I'd give serious consideration to buying vintage made in England kit, if space and circumstances allow.

As a hoarder I'll keep both. Children too young to move out of the house just yet. Move anything else out of the new WORKSHOP I'll be sleeping in there forever too...

Found a use for the table saw now. See my bandsaw box thread.

Adrian

Latest posts

Back