Karl Holtey

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I gave up any attempt to "understand" modern art a long time ago. I work on the simplest judgement - does it affect me, or do I like it or not. But I never fail to be astonished at how apparently shrewd business people can be persuaded to part with large quantities of cash for what I might consider painting and decorating.

I think the earlier reference to context is relevant, in that I might doubt that a Holtey plane is unlikely to be considered as having an intrinsic artistic value, outside of our world where there is some understanding of it's purpose. Concorde might be different.

Mike

There are lots of different types of "art". There's applied art (overlaps with craft), performing arts, etc. What most people mean by "art" is actually "fine art" ie traditionally painting, sculpture etc. By definition a woodworking tool is not fine art.

The art market is something entirely different, and more to do with status, perceived taste, conspicuous consumption, money than anything to do with what art is or not.

Back to topic of his retirement. He could train or let another person/firm continue making his planes but would they be a "Karl Holtey"? It could that if he's not making the post-retirement planes, they shouldn't have his name on them. Perhaps like individual violin makers, after Stradivari stopped making violins, there are no more new Stradivari violins.

But there are a heck of a lot of Fender Stratocasters. If he was capable of imparting his knowledge to a series of apprentices, would that not then count in the same way? Or is he just too much of a one off for that to work?

Random Orbital Bob":2xp0dfmm said:
But there are a heck of a lot of Fender Stratocasters. If he was capable of imparting his knowledge to a series of apprentices, would that not then count in the same way? Or is he just too much of a one off for that to work?
I'm surprised that he took on no apprentice, having worked so hard to build up a body of skills to take plane making to his level. It's not as if the notion of passing the torch to an acolyte who has met the master's standards is a new one and then the name can justifiably be carried on. Still, I'm sure Mr H has got his reasons.

Perhaps he has made a batch of planes that he is saving until the inevitable rise in price of Holtey planes due to them no longer being available to order, imagine what collectors would pay post retirement for a brand new unused box Holtey. Could be a nice little pension :lol: :lol: :lol:

whiskywill":2xsnk7hd said:
Random Orbital Bob":2xsnk7hd said:
Oh and......it's a small c......in advise :)

I was going to advise that advise was the wrong word but though that to offer unsolicited advice would be inadvisable.

Very drole Oscar =D> =D> =D>

I had a similar though...bu hen I realised he leer t was missing from my keyboard :)

Random Orbital Bob":gs57fygm said:
whiskywill":gs57fygm said:
Random Orbital Bob":gs57fygm said:
Oh and......it's a small c......in advise :)

I was going to advise that advise was the wrong word but though that to offer unsolicited advice would be inadvisable.

Very drole Oscar =D> =D> =D>

I had a similar though...bu hen I realised he leer t was missing from my keyboard :)
Er ... you're not going to like this but it's "droll". :D

Back