Just got a new table saw, what causes this

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup typical stuff as all bought in from abroad,What are you after as have a fair amount of stuff and based up in ebbw vale area

Well, I’m just starting out so I’m just getting a feel for using the tools and trying to make simple stuff. The bench was my first real project and it just used pine 4x2s. I guess that I’d probably want those after I finished / given up on it!
I’ve never used oak / ash etc as it’s really expensive and I’d hate to trash a load of it due to my lack of experience and woodworking knowledge.
Sadly, Ebbw Vale is a 90 mile round trip from me..

HomeyJay":jsi39pt4 said:
Well, I’m just starting out so I’m just getting a feel for using the tools and trying to make simple stuff. The bench was my first real project and it just used pine 4x2s. I guess that I’d probably want those after I finished / given up on it!
I’ve never used oak / ash etc as it’s really expensive and I’d hate to trash a load of it due to my lack of experience and woodworking knowledge.

I empathise with your problem HomeJay. I suppose we all have that at sometime. However it sometimes means we have to bite the bullet and either budget for petrol, or delivery charges. To fill most of my needs i have a ten minute drive; but when I need special material I go to :

https://www.sykestimber.co.uk/

They stock all of the species I am ever likely to use in the general run of things and that means a 60 mile round trip, or pay for delivery. I just swallow my pride and stump up!

Sykes are a good reliable supplier, and will accommodate you if you are prepared to spend a decent sum and you let them find what you want. I have never had a bad lot from them in over 40 years. Their website is a little mine of information on species and the uses for various timbers..

HTH

John (hammer)

Benchwayze":188fibgg said:
HomeyJay":188fibgg said:

I empathise with your problem HomeJay. I suppose we all have that at sometime. However it sometimes means we have to bite the bullet and either budget for petrol, or delivery charges. To fill most of my needs i have a ten minute drive; but when I need special material I go to :

https://www.sykestimber.co.uk/

They stock all of the species I am ever likely to use in the general run of things and that means a 60 mile round trip, or pay for delivery. I just swallow my pride and stump up!

Sykes are a good reliable supplier, and will accommodate you if you are prepared to spend a decent sum and you let them find what you want. I have never had a bad lot from them in over 40 years. Their website is a little mine of information on species and the uses for various timbers.. Just take the A5! :D

HTH

John (hammer)

Wow, Sykes look amazing!
I’ll keep trying to find a new supplier around here and report back. I had a lead on one in Port Talbot yesterday and I may drive over and check the out today.
Meanwhile bench has been finished, sanded and varnished. It seems fine but I’m not sure for how long!

HomeyJay":uii98tph said:
Meanwhile bench has been finished, sanded and varnished. It seems fine but I’m not sure for how long!

Well done! A picture would be nice.

Ok, here it is, now out in the garden, finally!

358059B7-5064-4FBF-8AC3-A5FDBD6700BE.jpeg

Attachments

• 358059B7-5064-4FBF-8AC3-A5FDBD6700BE.jpeg
    358059B7-5064-4FBF-8AC3-A5FDBD6700BE.jpeg
    881.3 KB · Views: 28
Back