Joke Thread 4

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
main-qimg-b37ea4aa694523800f96ded25575e5ff.jpg

Quote:
I'm with you. Laugh Out Loud.
It annoys me a little, unless you're using morse code.
.-.. --- .-..

Unquote.

What follows doesn't really belong in this thread, or maybe not on the forum at all, so if it's of no interest, please file it under 'Burn Before Reading'. Safety warning!: If you do read it, it might induce drowsiness, so don't do so while operating machinery.

Whilst the Morse code above is literally true, if you want to denote laughter in Morse code, (which is mostly only used by radio amateurs these days, of whom I'm one), you wouldn't say LOL to signify laughing - you'd say 'hi' because In Morse 'hi' sort of sounds like a ‘chuckle’ …. .. as an alternative, the number ’5’ ….. dit dit dit dit dit, to simulate 'ha ha ha ha ha'

Learning the alphabet in Morse does not in itself enable you to send it or receive it in a practical way as there are so many abbreviations. Just a few: sri = sorry, es = 'and', fer = 'for', abt = 'about', agn = 'again', gud = 'good', cul = 'see you later', wx = 'weather' and many more.

Some have more than one meaning: ‘SK = ‘end of transmission’ (‘silent key’) but it can also refer to an operator who has passed away. Amateurs also use what's called a 'Q' code of abbreviations - QSO mean a contact with another person, QTH means address, QSL is an acknowledgement of a contact, and so on. (Similar codes were used for maritime and aviation).

Morse Abbreviations

Telegraphers used to use a ‘brevity code’ to save time and cost when sending long messages. The best-known code was the 92 Code adopted by Western Union in 1859. The code was designed reduce bandwidth consumption over telegraph lines, to speeding transmissions by using a numerical code system for frequently used phrases. (Two of those are still used by radio amateurs today. ‘73’ meaning ‘best wishes’ and ‘88’ ‘love & kisses’).

Wire signal - Wikipedia

To gain a full transmitting licence, until July 2003 UK radio amateurs and elsewhere in the world had to learn Morse code. Until that date the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) required an assessment of Morse code proficiency to be part of the global amateur radio licensing procedure. In the UK, the speed to pass the test was to send and receive 12 words per minute. (I passed the test in 1974). A practical speed is from 18 - 25 WPM.

Many amateurs who still use Morse do so at 'QRP (low power) levels of below 5 Watts (about the wattage of a car interior light bulb), and have contacts the world over.

I think that's more than enough from me on this.

Quote:
.-.. --- .-..

Unquote.

What follows doesn't really belong in this thread, or maybe not on the forum at all, so if it's of no interest, please file it under 'Burn Before Reading'. Safety warning!: If you do read it, it might induce drowsiness, so don't do so while operating machinery.

Whilst the Morse code above is literally true, if you want to denote laughter in Morse code, (which is mostly only used by radio amateurs these days, of whom I'm one), you wouldn't say LOL to signify laughing - you'd say 'hi' because In Morse 'hi' sort of sounds like a ‘chuckle’ …. .. as an alternative, the number ’5’ ….. dit dit dit dit dit, to simulate 'ha ha ha ha ha'

Learning the alphabet in Morse does not in itself enable you to send it or receive it in a practical way as there are so many abbreviations. Just a few: sri = sorry, es = 'and', fer = 'for', abt = 'about', agn = 'again', gud = 'good', cul = 'see you later', wx = 'weather' and many more.

Some have more than one meaning: ‘SK = ‘end of transmission’ (‘silent key’) but it can also refer to an operator who has passed away. Amateurs also use what's called a 'Q' code of abbreviations - QSO mean a contact with another person, QTH means address, QSL is an acknowledgement of a contact, and so on. (Similar codes were used for maritime and aviation).

Morse Abbreviations

Telegraphers used to use a ‘brevity code’ to save time and cost when sending long messages. The best-known code was the 92 Code adopted by Western Union in 1859. The code was designed reduce bandwidth consumption over telegraph lines, to speeding transmissions by using a numerical code system for frequently used phrases. (Two of those are still used by radio amateurs today. ‘73’ meaning ‘best wishes’ and ‘88’ ‘love & kisses’).

Wire signal - Wikipedia

To gain a full transmitting licence, until July 2003 UK radio amateurs and elsewhere in the world had to learn Morse code. Until that date the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) required an assessment of Morse code proficiency to be part of the global amateur radio licensing procedure. In the UK, the speed to pass the test was to send and receive 12 words per minute. (I passed the test in 1974). A practical speed is from 18 - 25 WPM.

Many amateurs who still use Morse do so at 'QRP (low power) levels of below 5 Watts (about the wattage of a car interior light bulb), and have contacts the world over.

Not a licence holder, but used to listen in to amateurs as a kid, and well aware of Q codes, and also strange terms like 73s.
Things like "XYL", also seem counterproductive when using speech, as it takes 3 times longer than saying "wife", but I guess there's a bit of exclusionist jargonising going on.

Quote:
.-.. --- .-..

Unquote.

Morse Abbreviations

Wire signal - Wikipedia

I once asked a radio amateur how do you remember all the dots and dashes and he said that you
learn to 'sing' them rather than to visually memorize the code. Makes sense when you think about it.

Back