Joint advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Saville

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm a relative new comer to woodwork (only 2 proper projects under my belt so far!). I have a design for a coffee table and am wondering what type of joint I could use to make the join between the legs and the table top. I've done a quick drawing in SU to show what I mean. I'd like to avoid using screws if poss. Something strong and hidden would be ideal.

Thanks,

coffee_table.jpg

Hello and welcome to the forum :D
I'm afraid the mighty spaminator got you,and blocked your link :(

Andrew

Hi Jim,

Welcome to the forum. :D

As a newbie your picture link has been caught by our spamulator, once you have a few more posts to your name that will stop happening.

Here is your picture:

coffee_table.jpg

Not sure about the joint, to be hidden I think you have a problem getting fixings in two dimensions.

You could make it with a continuous mortice and tenon - think tongue and groove. Quite a challenging joint to make if you are uncertain of your hand tool skills .

Or you could go the more traditional way and put rails under the shelves, tenoned into the legs, and attach the top to the rails. If you set them back they need not be too visible, and depending on what you are using for the shelves will make the whole structure stronger.

Hi All, Thanks for the replies - and for posting my pic!

Of the ideas mentioned so far I'm leaning towards the continuos tenon idea - though not sure how strong this would be. . .

I'm not keen on the idea of rails. There are a couple of reasons for this. Firstly, I want to have a different look for this project and secondly I have already made 2 projects (bedside tables and a dining table) using this method and want to expand my repertoire by trying something new.

Thanks,

Mike.

Also just to add I'll post some pics, details of my previous efforts shortly for comments/opinions.

Great forum. BTW.

Mike.

Nice design.

How about pocket screws under the shelves, a couple at 90deg to each other and some glue should give a nice solid joint.

Les

how about a rebate for the lower shelf, with biscuits to ensure alignment,
whilst for the top, cut the additional leg so that it is only up to the lower edge, that would give it location.

my only feeling is that this really depends upon the size of the table, and the thickness of top and shelf.

actually there is another thought, which is to ensure that the top and shelf stay flat and level, you should make them as torsion boxes, and use the above method to locate and hold.

google etc for torsion boxes, but basically you build an internal cross braced frame of cheapish wood, and then put a thin veneered board on top and bottom.

paul :wink:

DomValente":180wpwvn said:
Some people do rabbit* on so... :lol:

Welcome to the forum, JimJam.

Cheers, Alf

*The first person to say "no Alf, he said dowels not rabbets" will get a thick ear. :roll:

*The first person to say "no Alf, he said dowels not rabbets" will get a thick ear.

I can't believe it's taken 8 minutes for anyone to dare.

Note I haven't :)

Back